Sorry might seem a really dumb question!

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
I'm assuming my car is out of water, and the water bottle is on the left hand side of the engine. The bottle is empty, but it smells oily/greasy? It's also a yellowy/greeny colour that looks oily. Is that normal? Am I just being REALLY stupid here?

Anyway when I pulled up yesterday, the car had overheated and I pulled up the bonnet it was fizzing with fluid coming out of a pipe connection into the radiator. It looked the the connection had been sealed on, and the seal had come undone or melted... Should I be able to just pull off the pipe or not? It slots back in again, just looks like some glue or sealent has melted off.

Anyway it's out of water as I assume, but it's the pipe thats causing concern :D

Sorry for my stupidness :(

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Hanz

it sounds like you are in trouble. The pipe has to be connected well enough to withstand the pressure of a hot cooling system, otherwise it will blow off and lose all your coolant. It also make refilling the system difficult if you have lost a lot of fluid.
This might just be one for your other half or a mechanic.

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Thanks Myros, the car has literally come out the garage last week after it's head gasket being redone, and before that a few months it was the wiring loom and ECU. MOT on 17th this month. I feel I'm getting no use out the car as she's constantly in the garage or having problems..

The tank is completly empty, when I opened up the bonnet yesterday there was fluid leaking from that point where it's disconnected.

I am quite dependable on the car, would you recommend it not to be driven at all?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Hanz

I'm worried now, as they should have checked it was fit after doing the head gasket. It could be one reason why it has overheated and blown off. If you can avoid driving it, do, if not, put the hose on, fill it up as best you can, take it easy and watch the guage like a hawk. I think you might be having to take it back to the garage and have them put right what seems to be a linked problem.
Be careful though, as the water is super hot and under a bit of pressure if it is the head gasket which is causing the problem.

The oily greasy thing is what has me thinking they haven't fixed your problem. Normal coolant doesn't look greasy, and can have whatever colour the ant-freeze used gives it. Mine are fluorescent green as I use a coolant conditioner.

Carry a lot of spare water and coolant with you for topping up.
On the other hand, it may be something as simple as jubilee clip has come adrift.

Last edited:
OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Myros said:
I'm worried now, as they should have checked it was fit after doing the head gasket. It could be one reason why it has overheated and blown off. If you can avoid driving it, do, if not, put the hose on, fill it up as best you can, take it easy and watch the guage like a hawk. I think you might be having to take it back to the garage and have them put right what seems to be alinked problem.
Be careful though, as the water is super hot and under a bit of pressure if it is the head gasket whic is causing the problem.

The oily greasy thing is what has me thinking they haven't fixed your problem. Normal coolant doesn't look greasy, and can have whatever colur the ant-freeze used gives it. Mine are fluorescent green as I use a coolant conditioner.

Carry a lot of spare water and coolant with you for topping up.
On the other hand, it may be something as simple as jubille clip has come adrift.

Thanks for your quick response.

I expected the car to be fine, it had a service about 2 months ago. The oil looks ok, checked that. It seemed ok when I took it to Cardiff on monday, and returned home tuesday. I assume that all the water has leaked out through this loose connection between the pipe and radiator when I drove her about 40 miles yesterday.

I assume they check the engine before it goes back out of garage, but clearly not that well as I just found a rubber glove in the engine!

I'll fill it up tonight, and see how it goes tomorrow, I'm driving about 20 miles all round trip into town.. I'll keep an eye on the temp and water.

:confused: Will she ever be straight forward!

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Hanz

fill it up as best you can, run it until it warms up, normal temp on the gauge, then shut down and check the level again. (big thick gloves, loads of rags, mind you dont burn yourself). If it's still low, top it up with water from a kettle you boiled about 10 mins previously, at about 80 deg C, so you dont crack or stress any components.

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Thanks Myros, I'll start now. :)

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Right, I've just filled her up, but it's coming straight out of the gap between the pipe to radiator connection. :( It leaves the water bottle, through the pipe and out the gap :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your garage is not very good young lady, I have to pick up some timber in Crewkerne Friday or Sat, Shall I pop in and have a look.

Malcolm

BarryG

Reaction score
television said:
Your garage is not very good young lady, I have to pick up some timber in Crewkerne Friday or Sat, Shall I pop in and have a look.

Malcolm

I agree with what Myros has said and Malcolm the garage should have spotted this when they have repaired your car Hannah. If Malcolm is coming to look at it for you, make sure you have the coffee brewing;)

Barry

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
television said:

Malcolm

I can always come down to Crewkerne, it's not far :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will contact you later.

Malcolm

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
By the sound of it , there may be a hose clip missing , perhaps your garage took it off to do the head job and forgot to replace it ?

If you can buy a hose clip at your local garage/B&Q wherever and use this to tighten the hose on , chances are this will fix it .

Sorry I can't be any more constructive from 500 miles away , although I do sometimes come down to Cardiff to visit Brian Gunney (helpful guy too). If you get a fellow member to help , good & well . Otherwise , do you have a digital camera ? Can you take a pic of the offending part and post it here ? Maybe then we can offer better advice .....

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
M6AJJ said:
He's a real smoothy, that Malcolm.
Isn't he just! :p

I'll take some photos when it's light, I've ducktaped the engine at the moment :D :rolleyes: and you think I'm joking..... :shock:

BarryG

Reaction score
Hanz said:
Isn't he just! :p

I'll take some photos when it's light, I've ducktaped the engine at the moment :D :rolleyes: and you think I'm joking..... :shock:

If Mr Smooth:cool: is coming to help Hannah he will remember your anti frreeze will probably need topping up too.:p

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Meeting Hanz in the morning, in Yoevil . Don't know yet about the topping up bit Barry.

Malcolm

BarryG

Reaction score
television said:
Meeting Hanz in the morning, in Yoevil . Don't know yet about the topping up bit Barry.

Malcolm

Im wondering now what sort of pictures she was taking :p
More for your collection Malcolm:D

Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BarryG said:
Im wondering now what sort of pictures she was taking :p
More for your collection Malcolm:D

Barry
Someone said to me last night that they cant sleep after looking at her pictures.
I do very well:mrgreen:

malcolm

OP
Hanz

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
television said:
Someone said to me last night that they cant sleep after looking at her pictures.
I do very well:mrgreen:

malcolm

Oh really?

I only sent someone :rolleyes: one that was my display!

Top Bottom