Spanish Road Tax

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Toying with the idea of buying a Spanish car instead of fixing my UK W124. I've checked insurance and it's very similar in cost (but includes breakdown cover), the ITV is once every two years I think (or is it once every year for cars >10 years as some sites suggest) and similar to the UK MOT.

That just leaves road tax. Does anyone know what it costs and also what it's based on (age? engine size? CO2? diesel/petrol?)

Thanks in advance,
Ben

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
If you mean the IVTM : (Impuesto sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica), then I believe it's based on the power of the car.
If you're in Barcelona you can find out the cost from the Town Hall.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks.

Typical Spanish beauracracy that the rates aren't publicised and put on the internet like everywhere else. I was beginning to question my Spanish translation and google skills as I cannot find it anywhere online...but maybe it doesn't exist online!

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
This site gives the 2010 rates; here, and I would think the 2011 will be published somewhere.

ps Wiki seems to give all the info ;)

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you, looks cheaper than UK road tax so all good!

didn't think to check wiki!

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Toying with the idea of buying a Spanish car instead of fixing my UK W124. I've checked insurance and it's very similar in cost (but includes breakdown cover), the ITV is once every two years I think (or is it once every year for cars >10 years as some sites suggest) and similar to the UK MOT.

That just leaves road tax. Does anyone know what it costs and also what it's based on (age? engine size? CO2? diesel/petrol?)

Thanks in advance,
Ben

New cars are first tested after four years and must be inspected and tested every two years thereafter until the age of 10.

Any car over 10 years of age must be tested annually

The costs vary between Provinces.

There's more info if you want....

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Are there any import taxes/duties payable too having regard to the original value of the vehicle?
Regards
John

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
There are some good sites for expats in Spain: try Googling "Expat Spain" ;)

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
I lived in spain for 4 years.......The road tax is cheaper (it's based on exhaust emissions and varies by provinces) i paid 125 euros for 1 yrs tax on my ML270CDI and one of my friends paid 25 euros pa for a small car, but i found that insurance was considerably more expensive, (at 700euros pa), than the uk, (in spite of it including recovery which is compulsory in spain).

Interestingly, Our Ifor Williams horse trailer also compulsorily needed to be taxed and insured, in its own right, and even had its own 'red' registration plate and log book and also had to be 'ITV' (MOT) tested every 2 years.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the responses guys. I know it might sound like a silly question but i did try googling all the "expat spain" forums and found them to have a lot of people pretending to know and quite frankly trust the people of this site more.

I'm a lot clearer now that i probably should get a spanish car as I'm here for the long term and it doesn't appear to be any more expensive all in, and saves the yearly MOT trip, potential insurance issues, etc.

One last question, i've been assuming my UK NCB is valid, is this an acceptable assumption?

Now just got to work out what to buy and how to get the most for my W124 (scrap here or fix and sell in UK...choices choices!)

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are there any import taxes/duties payable too having regard to the original value of the vehicle?
Regards
John

There are if you matriculate a UK registered car from the UK to Spain. I've already ruled this out as its €700 + 10% of value and sounds a lot of hassle. If I buy a spanish car there are no such taxes though (i believe!)

Top Bottom