Spark plug gap

joneseythedog

Reaction score
Dear All

My 1995 C180 is a tad lumpy when idling at around 750rpm. Struggles a bit going uphill too, and sometimes sounds a bit tractor-like.

At some convenient time I will take it to the local MB dealer to have a quick check-over, but in the meantime have put a new air filter in and have decided to replace the spark plugs too, as they aren't too expensive and I don't know when they were last done (bought the car a few weeks ago. FSH, but nothing to tell me what was done each time).

I have two alternatives in my posession: Bosch FR8 DC+, with a gap of 0.8mm, and NGK BCPR6IX-11 irridium with a gap that seems to be a little over 1mm. The Bosch were specified in the flip-flap thing at Halfords, and the NGKs came from sparkplugs.co.uk, where the on-site questions arrived at this type.

Anyway....My Haynes manual tells me the gap should be 1mm, although I have seen 0.8mm quoted in several threads here. The Bosch gap of 0.8mm seems very specific.

What I would like to know is:

* What is the correct gap?
and
* Is the gap determined by the spark plug type or by the car? The NGK plugs are a fancy type. Are they designed to work to their own gap?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Andrew

Stevie A

Reaction score
If you got them from Spark-Plugs.co.uk the gap is correct on the plug as it is, and will be okay to put in straight away.

OP
J

joneseythedog

Reaction score
So can we assume that the gap differences between the brands are due to the way in which they work, ie both are ok?

Andrew

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom