Speed bump problems

Webseo69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 2011 220
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well under the current t lock down. I bought back in Feb a 2011 E Class 220 Estate and I’ve noticed that there are a couple of things that are worrying me. Firstly the rear suspension when the car is switched off for a day or so goes really low, so much so the top of the tyre can’t be seen. This does correct itself when you switch the ignition on though to what looks to me to the correct night. The second thing is that When I have the whole family in the car (five adults and a dog) I’m guaranteed to hear a scraping of the bottom of the when driving (at low speeds) over regular size speed bumps. It of course doesn’t when it’s just me the wife and dog. Does the above sound normal? Thanks in advance. M

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like you're straddling speed humps. Never a good idea as it can cause cracking to the unsupported inner edges of your wheels.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Not an expert but I believe the estates have air suspension. Sounds like yours is failing or has a leak.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Sounds like you're straddling speed humps. Never a good idea as it can cause cracking to the unsupported inner edges of your wheels.

I have to admit I do straddle speed bumps, however I am not convinced that the stress on the inside of the wheel would be any greater than hard cornering albeit hard cornering is not part of my driving style :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have to admit I do straddle speed bumps, however I am not convinced that the stress on the inside of the wheel would be any greater than hard cornering albeit hard cornering is not part of my driving style :)
Hard cornering still has all the weight spread across the whole wheel. Straddling a speed bump puts all the weight on the unsupported inside edge of the wheel. It also has a tendency to nip the inside edge of the tyre causing premature failure.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The rear suspension is airmatic and the height is controlled by airbags at either side, valve block and air pump. Most problems are caused by leaking airbags but it’s better to check that the air feed pipes aren’t split before replacing the airbags due to cost. There is a height control bar that works on the rear axle.

There one or two threads on here regarding how to replace the airbags if you do a search

Hope this helps!

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
The E Class estates have self leveling rear suspension. Sounds as if you have a leak. The air springs can fail and sometimes, depending on how you park, they may go down while staying up at other times. It needs looking at as the compressor may burn out with excessive use

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom