Speeding Penalty?

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
I made a mistake in my other post i got an sp30 3 points and a £60 fine for doing 39 in 30 limit in june this year (ps cant remember the last time i never had a speeder on my licence)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I believe that the SP30 and SP50 both give 3 points and a £60 fine, the SP30 is in a built up area, and the 50 for a motorway etc, and slightly less frowned upon by insurance companies

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
i was caught by a mobile unit doing 46 in a 30 in a built up area.
SP30, 3 points and £60 :(

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
i was caught by a mobile unit doing 46 in a 30 in a built up area.
SP30, 3 points and £60 :(

Wheres the justice in that you were doing 40 odd and i was only doing 30 odd

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wheres the justice in that you were doing 40 odd and i was only doing 30 odd

well If you are going to do it,,do it to the max that you can go over by within that band :D:D

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Ha ha, like the theory malc !
I think a rule of thumb is do not go more then 30 over the posted limit else it may be ban time !

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Ha ha, like the theory malc !
I think a rule of thumb is do not go more then 30 over the posted limit else it may be ban time !

I think the rule of thumb is do not go more than the speed limit :confused:

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
I believe that the SP30 and SP50 both give 3 points and a £60 fine, the SP30 is in a built up area, and the 50 for a motorway etc, and slightly less frowned upon by insurance companies

Over the years I have had both (SP30 and SP50), both in the same year if I recall :(

I have been told on various occasions that insurance companies usually disregard a single SP30, 50 or 60 offence on your license in terms of loading your premium. It certainly made little difference to mine, but you never can tell.

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
I think the rule of thumb is do not go more than the speed limit :confused:

I regularly set the cruise control in "sensitive" areas which keeps you from inadvertently going way over the speed limit, but can be booted when you want to go quicker:twisted:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I regularly set the cruise control in "sensitive" areas which keeps you from inadvertently going way over the speed limit, but can be booted when you want to go quicker:twisted:

I quite agree. I don't think you can be too paranoid about speed limits. They are set arbitrarily and enforced mechanically - let us not confuse these with sense or "driving at a speed in accordance with the conditions".

If we see these points as a given, then just put it on cruise control at the prescribed maximum (assuming that it is safe to do so) and save yourself the grief, points and fine that could otherwise result.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I quite agree. I don't think you can be too paranoid about speed limits. They are set arbitrarily and enforced mechanically - let us not confuse these with sense or "driving at a speed in accordance with the conditions".

If we see these points as a given, then just put it on cruise control at the prescribed maximum (assuming that it is safe to do so) and save yourself the grief, points and fine that could otherwise result.

I find it easier down here Alex to have someone walking in front of the car with a flag and tin whistle

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Last edited:

TonyJones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 S55 L AMG kompressor
I got caight doing 46 in a 30 in Feb 2009 - £60 fine + three points (One of those roads that changes from 50 to 30 in the midlle of nowhere)

newfiegt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
95 MB 124 coupe, 76 Jensen GT X 2
Dont be too quick to plead guilty.
It is difficult to argue with a fixed camera, but if you fall foul of a camera van, check every detail and if you have even a tiny doubt send the ticket back and say you will plead not guilty. You will probably get another offer to pay fixed penalty,send that back as well with a copy of the first letter. Bottum line here is they do not like to go to court in case they lose.There is a good chance you will hear no more.
It worked for me last year when I got done on the M9. The speed limit had been dropped to 40 for some road works 1/2 mile ahead but although signs warned of roadworks ahead I saw no signs for a change of speed limit. I had a clean license and explained I had paid up in the past without question. I also dropped in the word entrapment. Result, well worth a few stamps.

OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Dont be too quick to plead guilty.
It is difficult to argue with a fixed camera, but if you fall foul of a camera van, check every detail and if you have even a tiny doubt send the ticket back and say you will plead not guilty. You will probably get another offer to pay fixed penalty,send that back as well with a copy of the first letter. Bottum line here is they do not like to go to court in case they lose.There is a good chance you will hear no more.
It worked for me last year when I got done on the M9. The speed limit had been dropped to 40 for some road works 1/2 mile ahead but although signs warned of roadworks ahead I saw no signs for a change of speed limit. I had a clean license and explained I had paid up in the past without question. I also dropped in the word entrapment. Result, well worth a few stamps.

Damn! Too late now, sent the papers back.

Besstus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi auto w203 coupe, 2004
Agree with Blobcat, £6o & 3 points..

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Not if you have transponder a for opening your garage door automatically most will jam a laser .

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/lasertrack_lt400.htm

Ive got a garage remote control the only problem is i got nicked driving along a road and not up my drive going into my garage

(PS someone got done this year or last year for having a transponder fitted to their rangerover and got a lot more than £60 +3 points because the camera op knows when the signal is being jammed)

Last edited:
OP
S

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Just to sum up. Had a letter from the Police kindly 'offering' me a fixed penalty of 3 points and £60 fine. Nice early Christmas present! Thanks all for your contributions to this thread.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom