Spider Inside The Tacho Unit

Muffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2012/2.1
This is a bit of a strange problem, but I have a live spider behind the instrument panel of my 2012 W207 E220 convertible.

There is no way I can get it out, the unit appears to be sealed so I have no idea how it got in there.

Here's a picture, not sure if I've shared it properly but hopefully you can see it.

I still have 4 months of warranty on the vehicle - would removal be covered under warranty? I suspect it may be quite a big job to get it out.

Muffy

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
What a B*****D, probably weaving webs in there too...

Sorry cant give you any advice, but it would be interesting how he got in, looks like the spider hunt is on!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
...Would removal be covered under warranty? I suspect it may be quite a big job to get it out.

Muffy

I would be astounded if MB were willing to see this as a warranty claim - you will likely be advised that it is in the nature of instrument clusters and spiders that blah blah blah blah blah £1000.

We do occasionally see such things, but usually in much older designs of car.

Is it dead yet? If it builds a web and catches a fly, that is a picture I would love to see.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Sorry Alex and OP, spiders can live happily for years without food and water.

You now have the non-standard MBS option (Mercedes Benz Spider).

Have you tried rattling it, or playing loud music ? Sometimes they do not like vibrations.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It reminds me of a service call I did, "Please Mr Malcolm, could you please call rounf on a Friday night and get the spider out of my TV, you see he only come out when Corination Street is on"

Back to the OP, the cluster can be removed and cleaned out.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Executive SE Coupé ('13)
If it were me?

I'd send a warranty claim through for poorly fitting / noisy / rattling trim. Bit of a con, but if it was perfectly flush, how did Incy Wincy get in?

See if your main dealer is as obliging as I.

OP
M

Muffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2012/2.1
It is still alive, it hasn't spun any webs yet and before anyone asks I have tried revving past 4000rpm!

I found it quite funny at first (as most people, reasonably, seem to) but finding it less so now.

I would think it's reasonable to expect that insects (or arachnids) should not be able to get behind the panel other than through some sort of manufacturing defect. Judging by the storm of comments which appeared when I posted it on Facebook it seems this is highly unusual, therefore my vehicle must be different from most people's, ergo have a defect. If whatever hole it got through were there on everyone's vehicle then every car more than a few months old would have them, wouldn't they?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Have you tried sitting on a tuffet ?
:D

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
That would freak me out. Grown man but I hate spiders with a passion!
I'm not sure it would work but perhaps spray a little fly spray at the front of the console, if there is any way through it will scarper and /or die. You will then have a dead spider in the same way that I have several dead corn fly in the screen of my I-Mac!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
OP
M

Muffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2012/2.1
I did send an email with a description of the problem to a nearby dealer and got this reply:

Thank you for your email.

We have seen this type of thing before. There are manufacturing slots in the back of the instrument cluster which are used to allow heat to escape and for pressure equalisation.

Clearly it is possible that small insects can get into the cluster via these as you can see from your ‘Special Passenger’.

Whilst not under warranty [as it’s not actually a manufacturing defect], our sales department have paid for the removal of these in the past for our customers as a goodwill gesture.

Please let me have your registration number and I’ll arrange for a member of the booking team to call you.

I'll send him a reply and fingers crossed maybe they will sort it out for me. Hope so!

Muffy

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
A decent spin on the situation. I was expecting a web of intrigue

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Looking good for MB here, If they do this for free and with a smile that is all you could ask for!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Do it soon! If it's a female and lays eggs you'll be invaded! ;)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom