Spot lamps or driving lamps ?

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
OK from a Mercedes point of view on some models the lights in the lower part of the front bumper can be either fog or driving lights. The way to distinguish this is by the glass lens that is fitted to the light unit. Driving light have vertical lines in the glass and fog lights have horizontal lines.

With regards to the traffic laws no matter what they were I would only put them on when weather conditions require them to save confusion or embarassment.

Police also pick on Merc owners having cornering lights where one of the front light comes on to illuminate the bend in correspondence with the steering direction.

Maybe the traffic officers need to be informed of the new technology as its a safety thing which really does work.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
thankyou mercedes service herts, my lamps have vertical lines and also a filament antiglare shield right in the center of the lamp glass. as i said earlier i have never been flashed by oncomming vehicles for using them and i only use them in poor visibility, overcast dark skies, drizzle and fog of cource. i will put a copy of this post in my glove box and try to educate the traffic cops the next time they stop me. see and be seen has saved many bikers and pedestrians who notice an oncomming vehicle. i am also pleased that i am not a f----wit, but i am scottish on my mother's side, from milangavie. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

popuptoaster

Reaction score
my mates old '93 lexus soarer had cornering lights the same as mercs do and she got pulled over a few times because of it.

cliveyboy8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 C320 CDi. 1985 230E. 2005 Westfield 1800 SEiW.
good discussion, but does anyone know the legal difference between spot dazzle lamps and the flat beem non dazzle driving lamps? to me they are an alternative to dipped headlights. side lights in poor visability are useless. as i have said i only use my lamps in poor visability far less glare than the headlights. i think like a lot of things today the minority ( f-----wits) have put a usefull piece of equipment into disrepute, just like they have done with mobile phones and car sound systems. herbiemercman.

Don't know the exact law on this but as another post says it is where they are fitted in relation to the ground. Lamps mounted low down are classed as Fog lights and are only be used in fog and falling snow when visibility is less than 100 metres and I would suggest in conjunction with dipped headlights.

Lamps mounted higher up, normally level with the headlights are spot or driving lights and should only come on with main beam.

There is no alternative to dipped beam headlights. Running on sidelights is a definite NO.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
In Oz, the law states that when driving in a "built-up" area, you may only use 2 headlamps and they must be dipped. The use of fog lights is permitted only with the normal headlights extinguished - once again only 2 lights working. Driving lights are prohibited altogether in builtup areas.

Makes sense really.

P

PanzerMcGrory

thankyou mercedes service herts, my lamps have vertical lines and also a filament antiglare shield right in the center of the lamp glass. as i said earlier i have never been flashed by oncomming vehicles for using them and i only use them in poor visibility, overcast dark skies, drizzle and fog of cource. i will put a copy of this post in my glove box and try to educate the traffic cops the next time they stop me. see and be seen has saved many bikers and pedestrians who notice an oncomming vehicle. i am also pleased that i am not a f----wit, but i am scottish on my mother's side, from milangavie. herbiemercman.

I have never flashed anyone who has the make it go faster fog lights on as i would be wasting my time with the f#nny, but seriously i cant recall ever being dazzled by them so they havnt bothered me in that way its just the whole putting them on to make your car appear faster or more macho or more impressive as i cant see any other valid reason?

Milangavie !!!!!!!!!! its ok me an st4 are used to it as well as everything else, probably north Maryhill aswell !! Im from Greenock but for some reason the English insist in calling it Grenock???

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom