Sprinter brakes

bloomer248

Reaction score
Hi
I have replaced all the brake lines on my sprinter which i bought with corroded lines, which were leaking. When i bleed the sytem up the pedal neve came good, and no matter how much i bleed still is extremely spongy. I even took the van out on the road and locked the wheels up to activate the abs system to try and move any air that may still be trapped in the abs system.
This still did not improve the pedal.
so this leaves me with either a bad master cylinder or servo, or i have been told that the abs system need to be put on the computer and run through a programme to bleed it properly.
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The master cylinder often fails when replacing the fluid as the rubber can be damaged at the end of a full stroke.

Forget the servo,,that will not be the fault,,that would give you a very hard pedal.

You do not need anything special on the sprinter

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Used to have a similar problem years ago on Bedfords. They used to have a dual master cylinder and the only way to clear the air out of the system was to pressure bleed them. We even changed quite a few master cylinders before we realized that pressure bleeding was the cure. Many different types but the cheapest seem to be the ones that use your tyre for pressure and a cap that screws onto your master cylinder reservoir, also allows for single handed bleeding.

OP
B

bloomer248

Reaction score
today i blanked off the end of the master cylinder and the pedal was rock solid which would point to maybe the abs system, i also used a pressure bleed system to no avail. the pedal remained the same. ?????
may have to cave in and take the van to merc, which i hate and havin it run thru a das programme to activate the abs system.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should not have to do this,,the brake system is no different to any car with ABS

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Keep going with the logic of blanking off the outlet ports of your braking system.

One step at a time, moving only one blanking plug at a time, work your way down the system, [master cylinder, ABS, load sensing valve, brake flexis, etc] exposing more and more of the system to brake pressure.

I suspect, you'll find that it is when you re-admit fluid to the rear brakes that your pedal will go limp again - but, that's just my guess.

If you do this work logically, you *will* find the fault, and you'll be able to repair with certainty.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Does the pedal come up when you pump it, if it does it usually indicates poor adjustment of the shoes. If you have rear shoes do they have auto adjusters if they do then i would check to make sure they are working correctly. I have never worked on a sprinter so i'm only guessing. If the pedal remains hard when you block the m/cyl then it can't be passing, if the fluid does not require topping up then you can't have any leaks. Do you have any load sensing fitted as i have known these to pass.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom