Star Diagnostic - How much

Astonblade

Reaction score
Hi All

My C220 seems to be having a few problems - poor MPG, no kickdown, power loss - and the advice seems to be to get the codes read.

I've not been able to find an indie in Sheffield who has Star, so it looks like i'm going to have to visit the dealers.

What sort of price should I be expecting to pay?

Does it have to be a star machine? Some garages have diagnostic equipment. Would they do the job or does it have to be Star?

Thanks in advance

dswhitehouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI/2002/2.7
Hi,

I'm living abroad at the moment and have had numerous similar problems with my ML270 and the same dilemma. I have access to a full STAR system and also a more generic system that I bought recently. I've owned the cheap, standard OBD code readers and they have been no use to me as my ML never seems to give me a "Check Engine Light" and codes, even when it is in limp mode and with obvious problems. STAR will allow you to access all the car's modules such as gearbox, ABS, security etc but also backed up by a very comprehensive and powerful system of rectification, ie, it will take an error code and based on your particular model, lead you through a full diagnostic process of actuations and checks.

I would however recommend this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-AUTO..._Equipment&hash=item2a1ccaac01#ht_3443wt_1396

Which I bought a couple of weeks ago which, remarkably, is able to communicate with all the car's modules (and also all my other cars and friends and neighbours' cars) in the same way as STAR. It doesn't have the same depth of model specific diagnostic information to follow up on those codes as does STAR but it will certainly pull all the codes out of the ECU (all modules that STAR communicates with) and give you a damn good idea where to start. I have been very impressed indeed, as have all my friends who have used it. It will allow live data reading, many actuation and some programming functions. For 155 quid delivered it will pay for itself and, having had to make several visits to Italian Merc dealerships for a princely sum of money, I can tell you that owning such a tool is very empowering indeed.

So, in answer to your question, I think that if they have good equipment they should be able to solve your current issues and identify the cause much more economically than going to the dealership.

Good luck in solving your problem,

Dave

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Diagnostic machines may well read codes ok but what star has is various test programmes that enable you to diagnose faults quickly and accurately without the need for guesswork. Which is what you want. It really is a must have tool for MB's.

I would say no more than an hour would be needed to diagnose your loss of power fault.

OP
A

Astonblade

Reaction score
Diagnostic machines may well read codes ok but what star has is various test programmes that enable you to diagnose faults quickly and accurately without the need for guesswork. Which is what you want. It really is a must have tool for MB's.

I would say no more than an hour would be needed to diagnose your loss of power fault.

Thanks Steve. What should I expect to pay an hours diagnostic time?

Welshlensman

Reaction score
Website
www.educationalimaging.co.uk
Your Mercedes
ML 270 2003
I'm somewhat sceptical of the power of the star machine. I've posted on this forum today about a problem I've been having with my ML 270 cdi for the last six months. Its been on the star via and indie four times and each time its showing no faults..
I mean if a machine 'designed' for the system cannot find a fault!!

Mike

matteb63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cl 500s & CLS500 with LPG conversions
Yesterday I was quoted £119 an hour for diagnostics from Mercedes Benz Cardiff.
Im looking for my own star to buy if I can find it at a reasonable price.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
I'm somewhat sceptical of the power of the star machine. I've posted on this forum today about a problem I've been having with my ML 270 cdi for the last six months. Its been on the star via and indie four times and each time its showing no faults..
I mean if a machine 'designed' for the system cannot find a fault!!

Mike

A star is only as good as the person operating it!! If you do not know how to utilise its full capability then you will struggle. Maybe you need to seek another Indie for other opinions....?? I have often fixed cars that other garages have or can not.

Star is an excellent piece of diagnostic equipment, the best out there for MB, I have seen other diagnostic platforms and I would only ever use star.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Thanks Steve. What should I expect to pay an hours diagnostic time?

At a dealer around £100+vat. At an Indie around £50+VAT.

Each garage is different though some maybe cheaper some more expensive, I always say start with a short test (Star code for a scan) see what the codes are and go from there.

I can think of about 3 tests that I could do on star in half an hour which would narrow your fault down.

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Hey guys, just as an idea.
In Bradford an Indi with a STAR will charge you £20 for a diagnostic, in Manchester about £30.

How much does it cost to buy a STAR machine?

Suki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W251, S211 320 cdi Avantgarde (2005), W202 250 td (now sold), W245 with lots of extras
I will let you know how much mine was.. if I ever get it working!
Regards
Suki

cefarcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320 2001 3199cc V6

I used Permoveo in Barry, not sure if they used star, but they diagnosed my Yaw sensor fault, It was done as part of the service,but I think prices start from £35

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
My star diagnosis in Nottingham if I remember was £60.00.
Well I suppose you have to contribute towards the cost of the garage when buying it.

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport

I have had my car on a Snap on Diagnostic for nothing and it can be used on most of today's cars and is a lot cheaper to buy.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Snap On Diagnosis is pretty useless on Mercs. I had a car brought to me yesterday which had just been run on Solus. It gave the P numbers but fault descriptions were "unable to read manufacturer specific".

You also need live data of which STAR has extensive amounts of and other machines nowhere near enough.

bruno2009

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 CLC 220 Sport
Snap On Diagnosis is pretty useless on Mercs. I had a car brought to me yesterday which had just been run on Solus. It gave the P numbers but fault descriptions were "unable to read manufacturer specific".

You also need live data of which STAR has extensive amounts of and other machines nowhere near enough.

The mechanic who is Mercedes trained used the Snap on one on mine and it worked ok and he did not charge me for plugging it in so I cannot complain.
The reason he uses that one is even though he works mainly on Mercedes vans he does work on many other makes and is satisfied with it.

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
Hi All

My C220 seems to be having a few problems - poor MPG, no kickdown, power loss - and the advice seems to be to get the codes read.

I've not been able to find an indie in Sheffield who has Star, so it looks like i'm going to have to visit the dealers.

What sort of price should I be expecting to pay?

Does it have to be a star machine? Some garages have diagnostic equipment. Would they do the job or does it have to be Star?

Thanks in advance
Here in Australia a STAR check and written quote for repair is AU$300, which fits in with the 110 Pounds in Britain.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Holy thread resurrection.
No use to the poster as he is in sunny Sheffield and not rainy Austrailia.
Plus he not been on here for 8 years.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom