OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Something like this perhaps: - ....

Perhaps the idea just needs a little more refinement :D :D

My Senators has a similar looking cover but it was bolted on with a security bolt (which rusted .... :rolleyes: so I made some stainless ones ;))

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
You can use a 17mm socket on them, but over time, it deforms the steel cap on the bolt, that makes the "Star" pattern and they get stuck.

Which is annoying, as when you have the right star socket, they also get stuck once deformed.

Once again, a cost saving measure, stainless steel cap instead of galvanised or phosphated bolts that don't rust.

Oh well I got that wrong, then
Mine were all mangled and dented, some blown with rust weeping out of the caps.
Obviously buggerred by air guns.

16 x £6.71 :(
Plus locking nuts.

I didnt realise they made a proper star socket for these.
So I used a new crinkle cut type and the black impact flat-head one for the locking wheel nuts.

The bolts all still look ok, but then I am careful with them, all done manually.

The best One of the original bolts , kept as a spare.
Some were so distorted you had to tap them on, and 3 had to be tapped out of the socket with a short rod. (I didn't want to be doing that on a wet night) 8B522597-DB3F-436F-BB68-58E07C05FD97.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C96A874-FDFC-4055-A1E5-0CF6003F1EF1.jpeg
    1C96A874-FDFC-4055-A1E5-0CF6003F1EF1.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Like you I had to replace all of mine due to a mixture of corrosion expanding the cap and mangled heads due to over use of air guns I suspect.
I had to hammer a socket onto several, which would have left me stuck by the roadside if I'd had a puncture.

Just use your impact socket in future and make sure that if you get tyres replaced that the final tightening is done by hand and not by an impact driver or air tool.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Getting the correct specifically designed socket was a must for me. About a tenner on fleabay Substantial design as well. Wouldn't be without. I put a set of new wheel nuts on it didn't mark them at all. Like others have done I did away with the locking wheel nuts. One was so badly deformed that it wouldn't move but a £5 socket with a blade inside got it off in a minute. Can't imagine that a wheel thief would be without a set of those.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It's amazing what you miss when looking at a 'new' car .... I realise now that one wheel has 3 bolts with the stainless cap missing. :( fortunately there are 4 in the box with the wheel lock key

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom