STAR vs CS

psmart

Reaction score
PS I agree with everything you just said.

jib
:)
Just 'shop' which Dragon should understand! So to explain:-

In the old days, digital circuits were built up with building blocks, ie. logic gates contained within a package (chip). These were generically called the 74' series (made with standard transistors) or the 4000 series (made with CMOS FETS - Field Effect Transistors). You would design your circuit using these building blocks and transfer it onto a PCB (circuit board).

As you can imagine, a complicated circuit would take lots of space, so as silicon density increased, you got PLA's (Programmable Logic Arrays) which were a single 'chip' but had 1000's of logic gates inside. You designed the circuit using the 'array' of gates in the PLA, created a fuse map and hard programmed it so that your PLA became a circuit which accomplished a task. More recently, like Flash RAMS (memory which you can electrically re-program), PLA's had a memory which stored the program (fuse map) so you could reprogram them on-site if your circuit was buggy, or you could reprogram them to perform a completely different task, all whilst the finished product was in the hands of your client.

uC or micro-controllers are dedicated computers on a chip, with hard memory (Flash RAM), working memory (RAM), and dedicated Input/Output subsystems such as control lines, CAN controller etc. They also contain protected memory for storing serial numbers etc.

Ive attached some photos of a 270cdi ECU internals, the uController is circled in yellow, the injector drivers are in red, the Flash-RAM used for the engine management program is in Blue.

The reason why Im certain that you will have a PLA or uController in a MUX (not having disected a MUX) is that RS-232 is a serial transmission system (takes a number, converts it to binary, packages it up, the 1 bit at a time sends it to the receiver) which is slow and cannot for example emulate CAN transmissions/reception which contains an order of magnitude higher speed and data is assembled in packets, much like a LAN packet.

Attachments

• ECU-top.jpg
    ECU-top.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 44
  • ECU-bottom.jpg
    ECU-bottom.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ECU-top2.jpg
    ECU-top2.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
dragon

dragon

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
:)
Just 'shop' which Dragon should understand! So to explain:-

In the old days, digital circuits were built up with building blocks, ie. logic gates contained within a package (chip). These were generically called the 74' series (made with standard transistors) or the 4000 series (made with CMOS FETS - Field Effect Transistors). You would design your circuit using these building blocks and transfer it onto a PCB (circuit board).

As you can imagine, a complicated circuit would take lots of space, so as silicon density increased, you got PLA's (Programmable Logic Arrays) which were a single 'chip' but had 1000's of logic gates inside. You designed the circuit using the 'array' of gates in the PLA, created a fuse map and hard programmed it so that your PLA became a circuit which accomplished a task. More recently, like Flash RAMS (memory which you can electrically re-program), PLA's had a memory which stored the program (fuse map) so you could reprogram them on-site if your circuit was buggy, or you could reprogram them to perform a completely different task, all whilst the finished product was in the hands of your client.

uC or micro-controllers are dedicated computers on a chip, with hard memory (Flash RAM), working memory (RAM), and dedicated Input/Output subsystems such as control lines, CAN controller etc. They also contain protected memory for storing serial numbers etc.

Ive attached some photos of a 270cdi ECU internals, the uController is circled in yellow, the injector drivers are in red, the Flash-RAM used for the engine management program is in Blue.

The reason why Im certain that you will have a PLA or uController in a MUX (not having disected a MUX) is that RS-232 is a serial transmission system (takes a number, converts it to binary, packages it up, the 1 bit at a time sends it to the receiver) which is slow and cannot for example emulate CAN transmissions/reception which contains an order of magnitude higher speed and data is assembled in packets, much like a LAN packet.

I know all that, I worked on ATMs for 20 years dealing with microprocessors and programming EPROM using ASHLing. You even used my products to withdraw cash every weeks.:rolleyes:

I started working with electronics and programming since 1975.

psmart

Reaction score
I know all that, I worked on ATMs for 20 years dealing with microprocessors and programming EPROM using ASHLing. You even used my products to withdraw cash every weeks.:rolleyes:

I started working with electronics and programming since 1975.
But other members didnt, so just elaborating on the gobbledygook!!

Everytime you've used EFTPOS, ghosts of me would have been there :)

OP
dragon

dragon

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
But other members didnt, so just elaborating on the gobbledygook!!

Everytime you've used EFTPOS, ghosts of me would have been there :)

Not only that, a lot of time wasters telling me about ACTIA that I won't be able to afford.:rolleyes:

psmart

Reaction score
Dragon,

Do you have details of the carsoft mux you bought, ie. where I could obtain one? Better to get one like yours than try the Ebay Russian Roulette.

OP
dragon

dragon

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
Mine is available if you want it, I have finished with it.

I can also supply MB STAR Compact 4 with just the bare minimum of the 16-pin EOBD II cable, the RS232 cable, the Multiplexer and the 44-pin ide laptop hard disk plus delivery cost anywhere in UK. You need to get yourself an IBM T20-23 or T30 or any laptop that can take the 44-pin hard disk. My recommendation is to get at least a 2G processor and at least 1G memory. The 38-pin cable can also be supplied instead of the 16-pin EOBD II cable.

I am still working with the supplier but their communication seemed to be a bit slow. However if you want the complete package it faster and get delivered in UK within 3 days. As this is a public, I prefer you PM me.

The MB STAR is so indispensable, without it I don't what to do without it. Look at all the helps required in this forum. A lot of guess work. It should be integrated with Merc cars we buy.

Last edited:

psmart

Reaction score
It should be integrated with Merc cars we buy.
This is spot on! Its a travesty that owners cannot read the fault codes. Sure, it could be argued that configuration should be left to the dealers, but knowing why your car has stopped should be a legal right! In the old days, you could just pop your bonnet or get under the car and you would have a very good idea why something had stopped working, but these days, a low battery could stop your car working without explanation!

Tried to PM you, your blocked out! Just interested in the Mux for carsoft.

OP
dragon

dragon

Banned
Reaction score
  • Banned
This is spot on! Its a travesty that owners cannot read the fault codes. Sure, it could be argued that configuration should be left to the dealers, but knowing why your car has stopped should be a legal right! In the old days, you could just pop your bonnet or get under the car and you would have a very good idea why something had stopped working, but these days, a low battery could stop your car working without explanation!

Tried to PM you, your blocked out! Just interested in the Mux for carsoft.

If I sell you just the mux, what am I going to do with the cables? You have to add me in the buddy list before you can PM. I look at my profile again and change it to enable PM, wait. I am communicating with the supplier, be patient. In my profile options, I checked everything to be able to send and receive PM. I try ping you then, could you please reply?

Last edited:

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I asked them and they supplied the cables and multiplexer to Merc. These are what you get if you buy from Merc. The s/w I am not going to comment in an open forum.:Oops:

Hmmm, well they wouldnt say to you, 'Yes they are copies would they'.

Some of the Chinese copies have Actia written on them and do look very very convincing.

I have heard numerous stories where people have bought a STAR multiplexor only to find it blocked out or doesnt work properly. At the end of the day if you want a STAR system that works reliably and is supported by Mercedes so when it goes wrong or you discover a bug, it gets fixed, then buy a genuine one.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom