"Start Error" on 1.7CDI, Please Help

timmothy111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1998 1.7CDI
Hi All

Sorry that my first post here is a cry for help but I am desperate.

I bought a 1998 Mercedes 1.7CDI last week from a private seller. I test drove it and all was well, I didn't use it till the next day and realised the battery was flat. Used my in car charger and tried starting the car, it then came up with this "Start Error".

I have done loads of reading and tried some of the tricks mentioned in this and other forums and nothing has worked. I don't know anyone in the Cornwall area with a Star Machine and don't know what I can do now.

I really don't want to have to scrap it and lose out on the money I spent on the car as generally its in great condition for its year.

Please can someone give me some advice on what I can do myself as I have a week off of work. Or let me know of someone in the Cornwall area that has a Star machine.

Thanks
Tim

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
How many keys do you have?
Do you have any little black dongles (look like tiny USB sticks) in black or red with the car keys?
Is there a red LED fitted in the dash below the instrument cluster?
Have you read everything here?... http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.1.htm

OP
T

timmothy111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1998 1.7CDI
Hi Alex

Yes I have read that website of Lofty's, thats where I got the ideas to reset the locks, take the battery off for 30mins and to check the relays. I don't have that little USB thing no. It only came with one key unfortunately.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom