start stop not working

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
my son has recently bought a 2018 c220 amg line mercedes yesterday the start stop didnt work the car was up to temperature what would cause this to happen tia

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
my son has recently bought a 2018 c220 amg line mercedes yesterday the start stop didnt work the car was up to temperature what would cause this to happen tia

Low battery volts? Or it maybe switched off.
A lot of people don't like stop start, like like it though.
Our stop start works fine, however on some occasions it will stop working if in heavy stop star traffic.

OP
C

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
thanks for the reply is the stop start worked off the main battery car is run daily and never a problem starting tia

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ours only has 1 battery, not sure on other models.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you have stop/start you'll have either an auxillary battery or a capacitor behind the glovebox which controls the stop/start.
Whichever system you have, either the battery is failing or the capacitor is faulty.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
It is quite possible the car was stood doing nothing for a long while before it was sold as so it may take some while to recover to full charge if it is not being used for long journeys. I have a 2018 car and mine works fine so your battery should be OK. Perhaps give it time and a long run?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Go treat yrself a decent drink and celebrate. A result

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Batt voltage issue?. If diesel DPF regen attempts? General electrical fault get codes read. If keeping car buy Yr own diagnostics.
I disable s, s as soon as I turn key. Its a gimic with known adverse effects, that will help spare pts dealers.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
It’s a gimic with known adverse effects, that will help spare pts dealers.
Is there any evidence for that? It’s a predictable forum comment we see regularly but that doesn’t make it fact!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fact. Use starter more, starter wear out faster. Fact, Start engine every 5 min stretch timing chain, esp single row . Fact. Bang starter in more often wear out ring gear faster., remember on most eng flywheel stop start at same place. All that extra electrics just to save 2 lt a Yr in gas and do 300 on replacement starter. No thanks..
None of above rocket science.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Fact. Use starter more, starter wear out faster. Fact, Start engine every 5 min stretch timing chain, esp single row . Fact. Bang starter in more often wear out ring gear faster., remember on most eng flywheel stop start at same place. All that extra electrics just to save 2 lt a Yr in gas and do 300 on replacement starter. No thanks..
None of above rocket science.
I’m not defending it, because I believe it to be another ill thought out idea to reduce emissions.

Some Mercedes don’t use the starter to restart a hot engine, they stop the engine in a position where just injecting fuel into the relevant cylinder will fire it up. Doesn’t stop wear on the carp simplex chain though :confused:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK. Did, nt know that, seems quite clever, (starting without starter,) I will ponder on that.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That'll explain why our SLK never stop/starts exactly at the same time when in traffic. (If it seats in traffic for too long, it'll restart automatically)
Still, I'm always thinking of all the wear'n'tear on the internal parts too. Though stop/start has been around for over 40 years, so after reading @Blobcat post, they have come along way since the 520e.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seems so but I think the process will be complicating the ignition system. And therefore ones diagnosis and fault tracing.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’m not defending it, because I believe it to be another ill thought out idea to reduce emissions.
It was sticking plaster until ULEZs came into effect, EU3-6 emissions regs likewise.

Currently looking at a PHEV as a company car for my daughter and it’s certainly an interesting topic and the best solution currently IMO
a battery pack to use in urban areas and a combustion engine to take over in rural environments

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It was sticking plaster until ULEZs came into effect, EU3-6 emissions regs likewise.

Currently looking at a PHEV as a company car for my daughter and it’s certainly an interesting topic and the best solution currently IMO
a battery pack to use in urban areas and a combustion engine to take over in rural environments
So carrying around a battery you don’t need or an engine you don’t need… for company cars they make perfect sense (at the moment) as did unleaded and diesel at the time…o_O
Some FIAT exec was on the radio yesterday saying governments need to incentivise EV’s again to stop buyers reverting to ICE… perhaps they could make them less expensive than relying on taxpayers to subsidise their businesses…:rolleyes:
Or perhaps they should all give up on the fake green credentials and make consumer goods that will last rather than the constant cycle of replacement.

I’m going to go and take my tablets now and lie in a darken room… :cool:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It
So carrying around a battery you don’t need or an engine you don’t need… for company cars they make perfect sense (at the moment) as did unleaded and diesel at the time…o_O
Some FIAT exec was on the radio yesterday saying governments need to incentivise EV’s again to stop buyers reverting to ICE… perhaps they could make them less expensive than relying on taxpayers to subsidise their businesses…:rolleyes:
Or perhaps they should all give up on the fake green credentials and make consumer goods that will last rather than the constant cycle of replacement.

The battery is only an extra 50kgs equivalent to 50 litres of fuel so not quite the perfect trade off but it’s only money and we all want to enjoy clean air especially for the next generation - I must be going green lol

Ford KUGA PHEV is top of the list currently- anyone with real world experience please chip in…

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Sometimes if my car has been sitting in the sun and got hot, the stop start doesn't work until it has been run for awhile. I guess it has something to do with the preset conditions not being right. Normally on a cool morning start, the stop start works at my first set of traffic lights, 5 minutes run. I think the first thing I would do is, to see if you can find a date of manufacture on the battery. If it's getting oldish, then what I do is run up to my local tyre/ battery firm and as they've done before they put their meter thing on it and tell me the state of the battery. I've used them for years and they are not 'rip off' merchants. If my battery has 'gone' they stock a good range including Exide at reasonable price. It's then a bit of a battle of things like, have you got an higher, amp job that will fit in the slot and ''How much, I'm only a pensioner'' even do you give free hankies when you take my money. Anyway I always find their prices very good and if you ask them they tell me what is rubbish batteries and tyres and what are reasonable.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

But you ain't wrong...

OP
C

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
It is quite possible the car was stood doing nothing for a long while before it was sold as so it may take some while to recover to full charge if it is not being used for long journeys. I have a 2018 car and mine works fine so your battery should be OK. Perhaps give it time and a long run?
the car has not sat long plus drove it up from blackburn and it is a daily driver just thi week the stop start went wrong i tested the battery yesterday and it is fine 12.48 volts and started it was 14.8

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom