"Steamy Windows" SL R230... and we 'aint talking Tina Turner!

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi Kids!!

Happy whatever it's going to turn out to be in a weeks time to you all.

Steamy Windows, SL R230? Not that old chestnut!! Surely not worth replying to or here comes the automatic response to the well worn question of....

But wait! May I offer arguments for the defence (have been reading far to many Trump court reports of late).

So it doesn't seem to take much for the interior windows on the SL to fog up, particularly the windscreen. Now I've been a good little boy and kept up with keeping my seals nicely moisturised (on the car!!!!) and drain holes clear (and the car as well). The air intake chamber thingy ma do da under the bonnet looks clear of water and the cabin carpets are nice and dry, particularly in both foot wells. As for the boot? Quite frankly my dear, it's drier than an Arabs sandal in August!

So what gives???

I don't remember it been this bad in previous years. The moisture has to be coming from somewhere........right? Any thoughts?

Did I pick up on a squeak of info somewhere that there was some question with regard to the seal around the panoramic roof breaking down?

Once again big thank you's and virtual beers all round for the online help....... It's much appreciated.

Nile

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How dry is it under the boot carpet?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You could write your name in the dust "Bobcat".

Thanks

Nile.
You missed the “l”...
I’ve never seen a dry R230 boot!

What’s the pollen filter like?

Carpets are dry, have you lifted them to check the underneath?

Behind the seats in the rear?

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi Blobcat!

Cabin carpet dry throughout. I even used a moisture probe out of curiosity.

It's a 2009 and there are a couple of small drain holes in the lower points of the boot compartment (they look factory, grommets and everything).

Haven't checked the pollen filter must admit, but there's no damp whiff, if you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Nile

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Blobcat!

Cabin carpet dry throughout. I even used a moisture probe out of curiosity.

It's a 2009 and there are a couple of small drain holes in the lower points of the boot compartment (they look factory, grommets and everything).

Haven't checked the pollen filter must admit, but there's no damp whiff, if you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

Nile
I do, I know what damp cars smell like...
I’ve had an issue with my 911 where the door cards have been removed and the damp seal damaged. The very bottom of the door gets wet. The bottom of the door is carpeted so it holds there and you can get condensation.
I removed both door cards and replaced the inner seal. Both now dry and no issues now.

There was a R230 on here fairly recently that was leaking in from the rear quarter windows and causing damp.
If you’re not finding damp anywhere I’d stick a dehumidifier in and let that suck it completely dry and then see if the condensation comes back.

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi Blobcat.

The de-humidifier thing crossed my mind. Part of me was wondering whether it's just a case of moist air getting drawn into the car when warmer air in the car cools down (pressure drop).... Who knows?

Might try opening the roof up if it's dry at the weekend see if there's anything getting trapped up in the headlining (shot in the dark).

Thanks again.

Nile.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Get a dehumidifier in there see how much it sucks up in 24 hr if plenty u have issue to find .if f.a stop the deep breathin "exercises"

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi ajlsl600!

Just ordered some de-humidifier packs from Amazon so will see how I get along with those.

Fingers crossed as they say.

Thanks.

Nile.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I used to have the Dehumidifier pack in my 230 regardless, even though there were no leaks (had been 'Malcolm'd'), it would just feel a little damp in the winter which I just put down to the difference in cladding on the vario roof vs the rest of the car. No biggy just wrung it out once a week...

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Is your aircon drain tray blocked? If the drain pipe blocks it will cause that.
Do you run aircon on recirc or fresh? Recirc will dry things out better.

Ian.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Now there's a thunk!

My better half is very anti-aircon. She hates it and every time I turn it on she gives me a right earful. To be fair, in the summer the SL only gets used when I can put the top down (usual UK rules apply, temperature in double figures and at least 15% of the sky is visibly blue). The rest of the time and because I need to for work, the Audi are usually the car keys of choice.

During the winter months (because I like to keep the car in use) the air-con never gets switched on. As said in the OP, the misting up seems to be a new problem. In the past just switching the "Windscreen" setting on, on the heater/blower does the trick.

Any advice on how to get to the Air-Con drain tray and what to check for please?

Many thanks in advance.

Nile

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
You do have the aircon on, don't you??

Hi David.

As mentioned in reply to Oigle's post. I very rarely use the Air-Con and during past winters switching the "Windscreen" setting on the heater/blower generally does the trick.

Many thanks.

Nile.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should always leave the AC on as it dries the air before it comes into the cabin.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Why does the gf hate aircon ? Very little extra fuel is used these days with it on , it dries the air and keeps moisture out the car .
Try and sell it to her that the new frecious filters combined with aircon filter out soot and other nasty micro particles that would otherwise end up in her lungs :D (it’s not true but might let you run the aircon )
Failing that get a new one in the New Year :rolleyes:

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Why does the gf hate aircon ? Very little extra fuel is used these days with it on , it dries the air and keeps moisture out the car .
Try and sell it to her that the new frecious filters combined with aircon filter out soot and other nasty micro particles that would otherwise end up in her lungs :D (it’s not true but might let you run the aircon )
Failing that get a new one in the New Year :rolleyes:

Hi Wighty!

I'd give it a go but the withering Paddington Bear Hard Stare that I would get from her takes some battling against.

My better half is a one time respiratory nurse who has a dislike of the nasties that can find their way into air-con systems, particularly the ones in cars where infrequent use can mean things like pseudomonas can build up and can cause infections. Yes I understand some of the technical arguments for air-con etc, but sometimes its a whole lot easier on the soul just to wind the window down .

Interestingly she seems almost oblivious to the noxious odours her beloved greyhound puts out (Believe me! That dogs farts could stop a train!!!), but turn the air-con on? and after a second she's complaining that she can smell something untoward.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Wighty!

I'd give it a go but the withering Paddington Bear Hard Stare that I would get from her takes some battling against.

My better half is a one time respiratory nurse who has a dislike of the nasties that can find their way into air-con systems, particularly the ones in cars where infrequent use can mean things like pseudomonas can build up and can cause infections. Yes I understand some of the technical arguments for air-con etc, but sometimes its a whole lot easier on the soul just to wind the window down .

Interestingly she seems almost oblivious to the noxious odours her beloved greyhound puts out (Believe me! That dogs farts could stop a train!!!), but turn the air-con on? and after a second she's complaining that she can smell something untoward.
Her shoulder is colder than the AC...:rolleyes:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well even if you don’t get it all sorted car wise , at least you are still very funny buddy :D:D:D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom