Steering Column

wmtham

Reaction score
Hi, very new with this. Just bought myself a 93 W124 E200. Got it back yesterday and was experimenting the car. Noticed a switch on the RHS of the column. Played with it for a bit and noticed that the column extended and retracted. But after 2 cycles, it stopped.

Can anyone advise if this means a trip to the shop or there is something I can do.

Thanks

Cosworth

Reaction score
Check your fuses

Hi, very new with this. Just bought myself a 93 W124 E200. Got it back yesterday and was experimenting the car. Noticed a switch on the RHS of the column. Played with it for a bit and noticed that the column extended and retracted. But after 2 cycles, it stopped.

Can anyone advise if this means a trip to the shop or there is something I can do.

Thanks

Stedan 126

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 126 500SE, 2013 Harley Fat Bob
Had my 126 for a week before I noticed the same switch. Mine did nothing at all. I popped the switch out and (after pulling the earth off the drivers door switch to make it safe) stripped it down, cleaned it with switch cleaner, and now it works!
Mine had small copper contacts, springs and ball bearings, so be carefull not to loose them.
The reason for the door switch is, on my model, if ignition is off, and doors are open, the windows and steering function. close the door and they don't. It kills the power to the relay.

Hope this helps you out.

Top Bottom