Stiff door openers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1978

Reaction score
Hello

I've got a 1988 300te, the other day I tried to open the rear passenger side door and suceeded. However, when I cam to shut it, it felt like some thing had come off a rail somewhere inside the door as it would only close in sections with a great deal of wiggling. I got it shut in the end but don't want to get caught again so please tell me what's gone wrong and how I fix it!!

All help gratefully received

JWB

Mikesmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CL500,1990 560SEC, 1988 230E, 1982 250, 1979 280CE, 1977 200D, 1972 350 SL, 1965 220S Fintail
Happened to me on my 230E. New door check mech. ...sorted. Cheap as chips.

Regards
Mike

half_throttle

Reaction score
This has just happened to me by the side of Lake Vassiviere, Limousin in my 1982 280 TE!!!!!!

The rear off-side door opened but wouldn't close even with extreme pressure. :oops:

We had to take the door lining off and you can then see 3 or 4 bolts which hold the unit in the door.

Remove these and the circlip and pin on the door pillar and the unit pulls out.

It seems that it is impossible to lubricate these units in situ and, after 22 odd years, it had completely seized.

It is basically just a big pair of balls with a spring in between. :roll:

HTH

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom