Stop-start B******t technology.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Had another "incident" with the b******t stop start system at the traffic lights this afternoon:mad:, I cannot put into words how much I hate this stupid, pointless, idiotic "feature", yes I know it can be switched off before each journey , can someone please tell me why could it not have been installed so that it has to be selected not disengaged ? if this is progress you can keep it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Had another "incident" with the b******t stop start system at the traffic lights this afternoon:mad:, I cannot put into words how much I hate this stupid, pointless, idiotic "feature", yes I know it can be switched off before each journey , can someone please tell me why could it not have been installed so that it has to be selected not disengaged ? if this is progress you can keep it.
To meet legislation, that is why it is there and why it defaults to on

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Speaking of "stop / start" I believe it's fitted to the merc that I'm picking up tomorrow....( 2014 W212 E Class 220 Automatic ) Can it be "Deselected " safely? If so how is it done? I've heard of pulling the 7.5 fuse near the Auxiliary battery, does the trick,,,,anyone got any suggestions? :)

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Stop/start does seem to annoy some people, I nearly always switch mine off on starting the car it has become second nature.

I do very occasionally leave it on just to check everything is ok and mine has always worked fine.

I’m no engineer but do read the forums but cannot recall a permanent fix, is this part of or likely to become part of an MOT?

Robin

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
I can only afford older cars and am dreading the day when I buy a car with one of these. How many cranks will an older cheap car need to start it? Will the teeth on the starter and flywheel be worn out? .....................?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
When operating correctly the system stops the engine just before an injection/ignition point and actually uses this as the main means of starting the engine, being direct injection there is no requirement for actual air flow to draw the fuel into the engine.
This should reduce the wear and tear on the starter motor.

That said, I think that it will cause issues in other areas - notably timing chains and turbochargers. I still can't see how stopping the engine at the first junction that you stop at after a high speed run on the motorway is good for the turbochargers.

I leave my COMAND on the enable/disable screen and turn it off as soon as I either start the car or see the green light come on the dash. Placing the gearbox in Sport mode will also disable it on automatic vehicles.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
On mine, either Sport + setting disables it, or, I* setting can be set to disable it too.
Beats having to manually turn it off all the time.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can only afford older cars and am dreading the day when I buy a car with one of these. How many cranks will an older cheap car need to start it? Will the teeth on the starter and flywheel be worn out? .....................?
I think it is the alternator that turns modern engines to start them......so more for you to worry about:). From what I've read the whole "more wear" issue due to stop/start, is largely a storm in a teacup.....

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There has been a lot of debate on the pros and cons of this issue and I suppose those like myself who don’t like it should be pleased that there is a facility to turn it off as said the default setting is active. I fall into the don’t use it camp mainly due to the excessive wear/load on the engine, starter motor and battery. I also don’t like some aspects of the system in practice mainly when stuck in long queues or tailbacks where the engine can cut in and out continually as you progress through the backed up traffic. There was a time when it was a rarity for MB starter motor not to outlive the life of the car but we are now seeing 4/5 year old cars that require them replacing

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I think it is the alternator that turns modern engines to start them......so more for your to worry about:). From what I've read the whole "more wear" issue due to stop/start, is largely a storm in a teacup.....
How can an alternator turn an engine over? Ive not heard of this before.

On my Audi the stop/start remembers the state it was in the last time the ignition was on. I can turn it on or off at will and the car remembers every time.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
There has been a lot of debate on the pros and cons of this issue and I suppose those like myself who don’t like it should be pleased that there is a facility to turn it off as said the default setting is active. I fall into the don’t use it camp mainly due to the excessive wear/load on the engine, starter motor and battery. I also don’t like some aspects of the system in practice mainly when stuck in long queues or tailbacks where the engine can cut in and out continually as you progress through the backed up traffic. There was a time when it was a rarity for MB starter motor not to outlive the life of the car but we are now seeing 4/5 year old cars that require them replacing

According to the Daimler Benz site that is a non issue.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMedia...ighest-levels-of-efficiency.xhtml?oid=9361921

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can do that anyway with the key fob?

No you cannot. You have to stand at the door to do what you are thinking about. With a ST you can open/or close your roof from a distance. Go through the settings in the link I provided it has many features to make it a worthwhile purchase. I had one in my SLK 350 (R172) and now also have one in my SL.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thanks for the link, I didnt know such a thing existed.

The mhb (mini hybrid) Smart 451 works like this. Trouble is, the drive belt has to be like a bow string for it to work and Merc/Smart are now on their 3rd mod of where one of the tensioners is fastened to the block ...

a motor & a generator/alternator are very similar ..... (put very simply) if you supply power to a motor & it spins, where as if you spin a generator/alternator you get power

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom