Stop start fail

Simon Fowle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220bluetec estate 2016
The stop start function on my 2016 w212 has started to shut down. It works perfectly well, the Eco sign goes green after a few miles and when I stop the car the engine cuts out as it should. Then one the car restarts the Eco light goes off as if I’ve switched it off, but pressing the eco switch does not turn it back on. If I stop the car, turn off the ignition and then restart the car it all works fine.... until I stop at a set of lights when it all happens again. The system shows no error codes! Any help would be much appreciated please. Thanks

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
A function of carnage .

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Sounds a bit like another ecu parameter not met at some point and stop start disabled
until restart aux batt on way out ? Would have thought any other parameter would create a fault code.
Plenty about will know better.

OP
S

Simon Fowle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220bluetec estate 2016
Thanks, that’s a help. I’ll check aux battery

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
this was answered in another post a few days ago... forums work best when you do a bit of research first and ask questions after you have some insight into your issue. ideally following up in a related post that's already ruining. then we get fewer, better quality threads.

this response is quite concise..... and your car is fortunately already doing what you need....

the bug where it never switches to eco and thus start stop is seldom / never activated, its very common when the control battery is aged. I've not seen a single post where it failed to respond when the "motorbike battery" is swapped for a new one.

NOTE YOU WANT THIS FEATURE BROKEN

Start Stop is VERY bad for the engine, it was only fitted to benefit the manufacturer.
its has two bad for the planet benefits for them and none for us or the vehicle owner. The whole idea is sick and marketed to fools to steal money

1) it increases car sales (the main aim)
2) is drops their pretend CO2 numbers so the don't get fined. Rather than drives them to build ever more efficient and clean engines.
3) destroys the planet with increased manufacturer of cars / engines / starters / batteries / alternators etc. which together produce way more than 1000 times the pollution of burning a bit of fuel. Which after all has the added benefits of keeping the battery charged, the ac / heater working so the driver is able to see and control a car that works correctly... and when working at operating temp is producing less pollution and burning less fuel !!!

START STOP IS A CON JOB

Last edited:

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Shorter life for starter motors, ring gear etc... - why would you want stop/start I disable it on my cars.

NJSS

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Engine mounts , chain tensioners , battery , alternator .

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
cam chains....

make it work much harder and move from a duplex of dubious quality, to a Chinese budget bicycle chain.... DTF !

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
An independent said he never had an actual chain issue but plenty of tensioners , I'll try and find it .

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom