"Stored" fault codes???

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Took the CLS into Mercedes Benz of Teesside for a diagnostic check primarily to confirm that it was infact the door handles I needed, to get the keyless entry working and not anything else. I was astounded to find that having conducted the check (at a cost of £55.00 which I thought was reasonable form a main dealer) there was several "stored" faults, which was a little worrying to say the least. As if that wasnt enough, I was then informed, not all components of the cls are covered by the Diagnositic Assistance System! A further £40 + vat is to be paid to erase all the "stored" faults, so they can actually tell me what faullts the vehicle has and a further £90 + vat to be paid for them to investigate the keyless entry system! Does this sound right to anyone, as it seems wrong on several different levels to me!:shock:
Or was I naive to think if I had paid for a diagnostic check they would tell me whats wrong with the vehcile??:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That was disgusting. One plugs in STAR run quick test, so far 10 minutes if that. press erase all fault codes. Start car, stop car and run retest, then print off and max time here 10 mins, so 20 minutes from start to finish.

They must give you the print out, as that is what you went in for.

Re the keyless go, STAR can only suggest things like handle, door antenna,control unit or other. Once the handle and door control has been changed and it still does not work STAR can go no further.

So the chances are they would have taken the extra £90 and you would still be non the wiser.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
if you've got a mobile phone and a wireless ELM327 OBDII device you can clear the codes yourself with DashCommand (iphone) or Torque (android)

and you can read/clear them whenever you want.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you've got a mobile phone and a wireless ELM327 OBDII device you can clear the codes yourself with DashCommand (iphone) or Torque (android)

Hi Niall, how are you :D:D Can that reader check body faults

OP
Abb

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes

Thank for that info. Just had a quick look for the wireless scanner you mention, there is some on eBay ranging from about £10-£30, would these be the ones? They state they will work with MB, listed as V1.5a whatever that is.
Are they straight forward to use?
Sorry for all the questions!

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Hi Niall, how are you :D:D Can that reader check body faults

hiya Malcolm
not sure if they can, I would assume they can only read generic fault codes (like engine management light warning on, etc) and give you the chance to read the code, and then clear it.

very useful if you ask me :)

Last edited:

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Thank for that info. Just had a quick look for the wireless scanner you mention, there is some on eBay ranging from about £10-£30, would these be the ones? They state they will work with MB, listed as V1.5a whatever that is.
Are they straight forward to use?
Sorry for all the questions!

I bought mine off ebay, just make sure it's ELM 327 and WIRELESS and you'll be ok. I bought dashcommand to work with my iphone and once I set it up it was easy to use.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hiya Malcolm
not sure if they can, I would assume they can only read generic fault codes (like engine management light warning on, etc) and give you the chance to read the code, and then clear it.

very useful if you ask me :)

Yes for what they cost, Only the dedicated reader can do the body :D;)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom