Strange service indicator

Mikeroo

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been the owner of a X plate 2000 year CLK 430 for a couple of months now. When I bought the car the serviceindicator said the A service was due in 3400 miles, I topped the oil up as it was a little low and this went up to 4600 miles..... so far so good. As the miles counted down and the A service was due in about 1600 miles I noticed that the trip computer had reset itself some 45 miles previously, hmmm wierd I thought as I hadnt touched any button or done anything other than drive normally, then when I check the service indicator it said B service due in 1600 miles??? How can this be, surely it isnt meant to change what service is required?

Anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This comes up quite often, depending upon how many miles and how long since last service the ASSYST can change to a B service from an A. ~13K miles and 2 yrs is the change over point.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Yep, this is pretty common - mine did the same thing just before its first ever service.
High mileage users have reported that their cars always ask for B services, and for low mileage users the car is supposed to have a B service every 2 yrs. Maybe the car realises that if it only has an A service it will too long before it's brought back to the dealer again, so it asks for a B.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yep, this is pretty common - mine did the same thing just before its first ever service.
High mileage users have reported that their cars always ask for B services, and for low mileage users the car is supposed to have a B service every 2 yrs. Maybe the car realises that if it only has an A service it will too long before it's brought back to the dealer again, so it asks for a B.
Yes, I used to service mine early when it wanted an A service and let it go all the way when it wanted a B

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, I used to service mine early when it wanted an A service and let it go all the way when it wanted a B
Mine had done around 16000 miles when it flipped from A to B, but I'd already booked it in.
In messing around with ASSYST I accidently reset it, so when I took my car in it said about 13000 miles to A service.
I explained what I'd done to the dealer and at the time I was doing a lot of miles so I asked the dealer if it would be OK to just do the A service (without having any warranty implications) and he said that's fine. They apparently only use ASSYST as a guide anyway.
It came back firmly showing B as the next service, though!

stu99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
For 7,000 miles prior to the first service (due at 12,000 miles) the ASSYS indicator in my car suggested a B service until the last 300 miles when on two occasions it suggested that an A service was due. When MB plugged the car into their computer it suggested that an A-service was due and they proceeded with this.

Now the display suggests that the next service is a C service (due in 9000 miles or 21,000 overall).

Where is the logic in this? Is it likely to continue to read out C until the service is due and then revert to B?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For 7,000 miles prior to the first service (due at 12,000 miles) the ASSYS indicator in my car suggested a B service until the last 300 miles when on two occasions it suggested that an A service was due. When MB plugged the car into their computer it suggested that an A-service was due and they proceeded with this.

Now the display suggests that the next service is a C service (due in 9000 miles or 21,000 overall).

Where is the logic in this? Is it likely to continue to read out C until the service is due and then revert to B?
Which model is this?
W203's (and related models) only have A & B services.
However I know that other models have lots of sevicing options and it's a bit of a bugbear that no-one can tell what needs doing until the car is hooked up to Star. That's why MB have switched to fixed interval servicing on new models.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom