Strange things afoot

Zolly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
64 plate C 200
I hope you could\ can shed some light on a strange thing that happens on Motorway travel.

Between 65-75 mph their is a sudden feel of rattle coming through the steering wheel.
My tyres are inflated to the same PSI and they are balanced. There is no drift or pull to any side, except this wobble\ rattle I have had a good look around under the bonnet to see if any pins or joints look loose but they are all solid from what I can tell

Has anyone any idea of what might be the cause, or indeed had the same issue

Thanks in advance to those who may have an idea\cause\soloution

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Hello
This is happening to me at the min
Mines a misshapen tyre balancing will not get rid of the wobble if the tyre is misshaped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Similar to me aswell, vibration through the steering wheel, at about 65 ish mph, so got the wheels balanced, tyre fitter said, they were out, but not to bad, so he balanced them, but he did say the tyres are not perfectly round, obviously there not square :rolleyes:
but not 100% round, the balancing made the vibration a bit better at 65mph, but still vibrating at 80 ish mph, so I've ordered 2 New front tyres, hopefully that sorts it out. :)

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
I would check the tyres for damage or deformity. A tyre not sitting on a rim correctly can be balanced to a degree but will show up at certain speeds.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could be wheels no longer round, you can balance them but they'll still shake

OP
Z

Zolly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
64 plate C 200
Thanks All

Well after 30+ Yrs of driving I have never heard of the probable cause “ Wheels not round “ go figure.

I will get them checked out at my local indie garage

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
Search Google for "out of round wheels" lots of info on the problem.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Search Google for "out of round wheels" lots of info on the problem.
Also search, "out of round tyres" I never thought such a thing existed, but apparently it does. :rolleyes::)

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
I have had an out of round motorcycle tyre before now was fine until about 60mph then it had a severe wobble, it was a brand new tyre I contacted Bridgestone and they replaced it FOC inc fitting and balancing.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Tyre deformity is fairly common, steel belts can be dented with impact, rayon cords can swell, loads of things really

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks All

Well after 30+ Yrs of driving I have never heard of the probable cause “ Wheels not round “ go figure.

I will get them checked out at my local indie garage
It's because of the current fashion for huge rims with tiny sidewalls. If you straddle cushion speed bumps the full weight is transferred through the unsupported inside edge of the wheel, this puts a massive strain on the alloy and tyre.

Quite a lot of cracked alloy and damaged tyre threads on the forum...:(

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Sounds daft but check the wheel bolts, I've had that.
Of course it became more pronounced soon enough.

Sticking brake pads (not sliding freely) can be an issue. Or indeed the callipers on their sliders.

For the tyres ask the fitter to watch as they rotate on the balancing machine. You might see anything out of true as they rotate, that does mean the guard needs to be up though.

OP
Z

Zolly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
64 plate C 200
This has got me thinking ... I think I know the culprit, given what has been described.
I caught the rear wheel in a kerb, trying to turn a sharp corner and the rear wheel was forced into the kerb.

Obviously I now know that this has\ had a consequence, not prevalent until I run at high speed

From the posts already this seems a prevalent issue and could be a potential danger.

DeeEmm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
Take a look at this video, shot from within the tyre mounted on a Mercedes.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If possible, find a tyre shop who can balance the wheels on the car. That covers a multitude of ills! 20 years (?) ago I ran around in Cavalier SRi's - very fast, good grip etc but when having tyres replaced I learned the hard way to get them "balanced on" or put up with all sorts of irritations. A lot of truck tyres shops could do them on the car back then.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
An option is to ask your favourite tyre house to re-seat the tyres and then re-balance. They should also be able to check wheels for out of round.

Check suspension bushes as worn bushes can amplify small wheel irregularities.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
If you whacked the kerb you may have broken a belt, which will cause a wobble. A dented rim feels more like an out of balance shudder in my experience. If the tire is out of round there are places which will shave them if they are not too bad.

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Try swapping each wheel one by one for the spare, see if that eliminates it.

Make sure it's too pressure, and round!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom