Strong Smell of fuel in the car!

GurjM

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a very strong smell of diesel in side the car, but don't know where its coming from. Asked my local garage to take a look and they could not find any leaks along the fuel line! I have also looked for fuel on the drive but again, can't seen anything.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Gurj
(E270 CDI Auto Avantgarde 2003).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
As per another post I did on this subject. When you last filled the car were you standing in diesel? did the fuel splash back when fiilling? also did you not use gloves? If yes to any of these then there is a good chance that you transferred diesel either onto the carpets or steering wheel.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
check your foot area. the mats may have picked it up off your shoes.

if they have, take them out and leave them for a few days, it should dissipate. if they are rubber mats you can just wash them

it might not be a bad idea, if you find it, to have the interior valeted properly by a company. that will at least clear up the smell.

OP
G

GurjM

Reaction score
Yes, there is a very strong smell in the boot, it seem to be worse when I have a full tank or just filled up.

I have even washed the boot carpet , but still getting the smell.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think you could have a problem with the tank breather.

OP
G

GurjM

Reaction score
Any ideas how easy it is to access the tank breather? Is it a pipe out of the tank??

johnnycapone

Reaction score
Not sure what sort of car you have, but on mine (200 te) the sender unit is accessed from the inside back floor. (It is an estate). This may also be a possibillity.
Regards
John

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
G

GurjM

Reaction score
Thanks, will take a look.

My cars a E270 CDI Auto 2003.

Wellbrook

Reaction score
I have recently had a diesel fuel leak on my E 320cdi (2003), it came from a hose at the top front of the engine. My dealer picked this up at a service prior to the warranty expiring. Glad they did as it was a big bill. The diesel was leaking onto the drive belt and onto the tray below hence no diesel on the garage floor. Did not have a smell in the car.

OP
G

GurjM

Reaction score
Yes, I have also have had this leak and had the drive belt and hoses changed as they we contaminated with fuel, but this diesel smell seems to be coming from the boot and into the car.

Had it check yesterday, they removed the back seat and rear wheel arch to get to the breather pipe, but could not find anything. They suggested I book it in again and fill the tank before coming...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wellbrook said:
I have recently had a diesel fuel leak on my E 320cdi (2003), it came from a hose at the top front of the engine. My dealer picked this up at a service prior to the warranty expiring. Glad they did as it was a big bill. The diesel was leaking onto the drive belt and onto the tray below hence no diesel on the garage floor. Did not have a smell in the car.

On the plus side it should stop the sub frame rusting:p

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom