Sudden severe shaking/vibration on A180 2006 auto

KathyG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2006
Hi,
I have had a few issues with my 14 year old A class (A180 Auto) 2006 model, which has been the driver side ball joint and the odd age related issue. I have noticed this vibration now and again since before the ball joint was replaced. It seemed to stop but the last few weeks the car there has been knocking noises. I couldn't figure out if it was possibly the passenger side ball joint on its way or gearbox or what. Gear changes are smooth, no major issues that I can detect. Nothing coming up on the dash. But then this evening, after a steep incline, left turn then onto straight, level road (at approx 25/30mphr 10 yards or so after) the car suddenly turned itself into a giant massage chair, huge amount of shaking. You kind of felt like you were being shook from side to side and front and back. The car appeared to lose power (or I may have instinctively eased off the pedal slightly) and for a moment I thought it would shudder its way to a halt. But as I was frantically looking for somewhere to pull over, it seemed to ease off and stop shaking. It has never been this bad before. I know she's getting on a bit but usually she is a dream to drive. Any ideas?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome.
Pretty impossible to tell from your description as there are far too many variables.
If you tell us what part of the country you're in we can possibly recommend someone to look at it for you?

OP
K

KathyG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 2006
Hi and welcome.
Pretty impossible to tell from your description as there are far too many variables.
If you tell us what part of the country you're in we can possibly recommend someone to look at it for you?

Hi LostKiwi,
Thanks for the reply. I had a read through the forums and came across a guy selling his old merc, he mentioned a drone noise coming from the passenger drive train (I assume this is the same as drive shaft?) and I suddenly twigged it. I had noticed this droning noise coming from the passenger side recently, usually going uphill, slightly left turn and 40-50mphr usually. Though yesterdays event happened much lower speed than that. So I think possibly drive shaft. I also feel I should replace the ball joint on the passenger side too, seeing that I have already had to do the right hand side a couple months back.
I am in Cornwall, Penzance area. I have booked her into my usual garage for Friday, but I am mindful too that the transmission oil needs a change. Mercedes is at Truro, she won't make it that far safely and I don't fancy the A30 with a dodgy drive shaft anyhow!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, yes Truro motor services seems to be your 'closest' Mercedes Independent who have good reviews.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A droning noise that increases as you turn is usually a wheel bearing on its way out. Driveshafts rarely create vibration or noise unless on full lock in which case they can go click click click due to wear in a CV joint.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom