"supermarket fuels"

ecol

Reaction score
Blenders

I can confirm what verytalldave has said ,having worked in the Petrochem industry myself ,I have said this before on this forum ,it is Blended at Source ,I used to hold the additives in a special compound and have to keep a register of what was being blended and % and woe betide the Company and myself and others if it did'nt tally up when H.M Customs arrived on site to check for irregularities to the stock of additives

R2e

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 2000 (X) Petrol/LPG
I can confirm what verytalldave has said ,having worked in the Petrochem industry myself ,I have said this before on this forum ,it is Blended at Source ,I used to hold the additives in a special compound and have to keep a register of what was being blended and % and woe betide the Company and myself and others if it did'nt tally up when H.M Customs arrived on site to check for irregularities to the stock of additives

I thought that's what I said. Never suggested the additives were put in at the retail petrol station, and I quote "but Shell put additives in the compartments after loading to make it superior". This is what the Shell rep told me when I queried why the delivery (all 4* at the time) went to two different stations, one Shell, one not.

If you're going to shoot me down in flames, at least get the facts right :D

Cruiserman

Reaction score
Website
www.mikeharwood.co.uk
This is a really interesting thread and although I only use Sainsburys fuel when it come to supermarkets, I'm going to do some trials using SHELL!! I'll keep you posted, any saving is good in my book :cool:

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition

ecol

Reaction score
I thought that's what I said. Never suggested the additives were put in at the retail petrol station, and I quote "but Shell put additives in the compartments after loading to make it superior". This is what the Shell rep told me when I queried why the delivery (all 4* at the time) went to two different stations, one Shell, one not.

Blended at source means exactly that, wether it was on rail loading (tankers by rail) or for road loading into tankers for delivery to forecourt outlets and my facts are exactly right,having had control of the additives myself and also a son that is a Tanker Driver at present ,unless somebody changed Her Majesty's Custom and Excise Duties without letting anybody know and lets them chuck it in willy nilly

verytalldave

Reaction score

Sorry. I misunderstood your post. My fault. :(

R2e

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 2000 (X) Petrol/LPG
Sorry. I misunderstood your post. My fault. :(

No worries Dave :D

Maybe I was not clear, Ecol still seems to think I'm disagreeing with him for some reason. Maybe my description is not 100% correct, but I'm relating a conversation that took place over 20 years ago, and the point is the additives are added at source and it's the additives that make the difference between different brands (presumably!).

verytalldave

Reaction score
No worries Dave :D

Maybe I was not clear, Ecol still seems to think I'm disagreeing with him for some reason. Maybe my description is not 100% correct, but I'm relating a conversation that took place over 20 years ago, and the point is the additives are added at source and it's the additives that make the difference between different brands (presumably!).

Yes. See my earlier posts on this thread.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
Just a small spanner in the works. Additives were the only differences between fuels until Shell introduced Optimax which used a high density base petrol as well as different additives and was loaded through dedicated systems. Now other companies also have h.d. petrols so it is a lot more complicated than just different additives.

be aware there are more differences than there were a few years ago.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom