Suspension Creaking

Ivinghoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 180 Classic SE Komp 54 Plate
My recently acquired C180 Classic SE 54 registration has creaking noises from underneath
The car has just had it's B service by an independent garage, and the mechanic said that he had sprayed the bushes etc whilst it was up on the ramp
However, the creaking still persists

The car has done 65k miles and has a full service history

Any ideas as to how the rectify would be appreciated

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
My recently acquired C180 Classic SE 54 registration has creaking noises from underneath
The car has just had it's B service by an independent garage, and the mechanic said that he had sprayed the bushes etc whilst it was up on the ramp
However, the creaking still persists

The car has done 65k miles and has a full service history

Any ideas as to how the rectify would be appreciated
Had the same problem turned out it was a ball joint on the lower front suspension arm. Best to replace them both at the same time and get the tracking done.
Here's how I found the problem not the same car but the technique works.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above probably a ball joint. When they creak they're often close to failing.

OP
I

Ivinghoe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 180 Classic SE Komp 54 Plate
As above probably a ball joint. When they creak they're often close to failing.

The car had it's MOT just 4 weeks ago and passed with no advisories - so a worn ball joint should had been picked up !

The MOT was done via the dealer just before I purchased the car ….

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The back end of my R Class used to creak & groan. I thought that replacing the rear shockers air 'springs' would have cured it, but it didn't. I did trace it to the top of a shocker & so greased up anything that could be greased. It lasted for a couple of weeks & started again, I repeated and the creaking returned a couple of weeks later ..... in the end I just turned the radio up :rolleyes: before I traded it in.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
The car had it's MOT just 4 weeks ago and passed with no advisories - so a worn ball joint should had been picked up !

There won't be any play in the joint to start with as there will be rust and grime in it which is what causes the squeak. When this wears sufficiently and usually gets washed out, then you'll get the play.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
A Senator I had years ago passed its MOT a few times with a completely fubar'd rear radius arm bush .... the centre was completely detached from the rubber.

My ML's front brakes passed its 'health check' from the supplying dealer with flying colours however 3 weeks later a local MB dealer's 'health check' said the pads were 80% worn & advised that the discs were replaced.
Both dealers had a financial interest ... however they were at polar financial opposites :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My ML's front brakes passed its 'health check' from the supplying dealer with flying colours however 3 weeks later a local MB dealer's 'health check' said the pads were 80% worn & advised that the discs were replaced.
Bother dealers had a financial interest ... however they were at polar financial opposites :rolleyes:
I had exactly the same with my SLK, makes a huge difference if you’re buying or selling.

I’m nearly 14k into mine now and I’ve not needed brakes or anything else. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Due to the design of the front suspension the balljoint is under tension from the front spring at all times. This makes it very difficult to detect if the joint is worn. One of our own Indy's had a balljoint fail on a car he was driving.

Austy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SL320 2003 CLK270CDI 2004 E320CDI 2006 CLS320CDI
Had a CLK years ago where the rose bushes made an awful racket even whilst driving on a smooth surface. I could replicate the noise bouncing the car by pushing down on the boot lid.

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Tips of the suspension springs can break off and not fall out and these can creak and groan, now get a garden hose and soak the spring seats top and bottom and then see if it stops making noise and if it does then I am quite certain you will find a spring tip broken off .

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
A flexible plastic tube pointed at various moving parts of the suspension, whilst someone else (preferably heavy) bounces the suspension up and down.

Listen at the other end and it should be obvious which joint/bush is making the noise...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom