Swimming pool in rear seatwell - Drain blocked somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Graveley

Reaction score
I have a 1982 500SEC. Whenever it rains the rear seatwell on the left  gets a lot of water in it. I suspect that one or more of the drains from the sunroof is blocked. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem and, if so, where the drains run and how to access and clear them? It is making the carpets pretty foul as well - how do I remove them for cleaning? It looks like the seats have to come out first - is that right?
I've had the car for about 5 years and really love her but she is too big for my garage and has to sit outside. As a result, the bodywork is getting a bit tatty. Can anyone recommend someone in the Bucks/Berks/Oxon area who would do a good respray without it costing an arm and a leg?
Thanks for any help.

(Edited by Rex Graveley at 11:34 am on Sep. 17, 2001)

andyk

Reaction score
Website
www.supanet.com
Swimming pool in rear seatwell

Hi Rex
i have just sorted a similar problem on my 240 it was not that the drains were blocked but that the area around the drain had rotted through forming a small hole i cured this by cleaning the area and then applying some mastic as to clearing the drains i used an old piece of net curtain wire, you know the plastic coated spring type stuff just to check the drains i also replaced the forward and side seals not a hard job and does not need the whole area striping only 1hour of dry weather
too get the job done but the fwd seal can put up a fight for any more info please contact me
andy-kennedy@supanet.com 

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com

Hi Rex,

A good respray is always going to cost you an arm a leg, and any other part of you thats worth something.

As regards to the water leak. Have a look at the front of the car. Check the front windscreen is still secure & the bonding has not come loose. As a rule. If you have water in the rear, it almost certain its started from the front and rolled to the back. Check your front carpets and sound dednening for dampness. If they are damp then this will verify my thoughts.

As for the sunroof. Try pouring water (after first opening the roof) in the front corner. Check if water comes out by the front wing were the door meets the wing area. If water comes out then its ok. If not try getting a wire clothe hanger done the hole. You will see what I mean.  For the rear pour water towards the rear. You might try jacking the vehicle up a little or put it on an incline to make sure the water goes to the back. You should see the water drain out by the boot well area. If you look underneath around the back part of the arch area, you might just see the water drain tube.

Check the front first.
Good luck
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

David Halsey

Reaction score

the 126 SEC's had a problem with a panel under the rear screen. This has been kept largely quiet in the world of MB. When this goes water leaks into the passenger area and the boot aswell.
Open the boot and feel under the rear shelf, all over, right to the edges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom