Take car to workshop without changing gear

Bhines91

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 a180 cdi blueefficiency
Hello , just after some advice. We have had some cold weather recently overnight -4. When I went to drive my car the following day a warning message came up “ take to workshop without changing gear”. I turned the engine off and back on and the warning message disappeared but the solid orange engine light stayed on. I drove 5 miles and stopped , restarted engine again and engine light has now gone off. Car has been driving fine but has been taking a little while longer to start the engine. Could this be a battery issue or something else? Any help would be appreciated Thankyou so much

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
As per @Blobcat low battery voltage causes untold issues on these cars. If the issues occur on initial start-up but then go away if the engine has run for 15 - 20 minutes before restarting it then its definitely battery voltage.
Cold weather always brings out any weakness in the battery.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I would also agree with the above that these modern things are very hungry for power. A battery is best replaced as a periodic service item, and I do mine every 3-4 years across the fleet. Since my recent drama with the s class, for belt and braces, I put each of my fleet on a trickle charger twice a week. I know few other members also use trickle chargers so probably worth investing in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would also agree with the above that these modern things are very hungry for power. A battery is best replaced as a periodic service item, and I do mine every 3-4 years across the fleet. Since my recent drama with the s class, for belt and braces, I put each of my fleet on a trickle charger twice a week. I know few other members also use trickle chargers so probably worth investing in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine live on battery conditioners - not had an issue with batteries >10yrs old

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Battery conditioner definitely a good investment. The 207 sits with one during winter 'stores' and also during use, as its not a frequent miler nowadays.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
ok follow up question, my battery was critically weak recently, as reported via Mercedes Me after using the heater to heat the car in the morning, (we have much colder weather in south sweden) and i connected up my 'old fashioned' battery charger (it's useless). One issue is that when i'm charging, the bonnet is open and the struts are under pressure, so how do you deal with that ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
ok follow up question, my battery was critically weak recently, as reported via Mercedes Me after using the heater to heat the car in the morning, (we have much colder weather in south sweden) and i connected up my 'old fashioned' battery charger (it's useless). One issue is that when i'm charging, the bonnet is open and the struts are under pressure, so how do you deal with that ?
I close the bonnet…

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
how often do you use the conditioner ? only during winter or when needed ?
I use mine pretty much all the time. (Not when it’s my daily), but if it’s sitting for any length of time then yes, it goes on the charger.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom