Tata to take over Jaguar & Landrover

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
In 1928 you could buy a

A.B.C.-AC- Albert-Alfa Romeo-Alvis-Amilcar-Ansaldo- Armstrong Siddely-Arrol Astor- Astor-Aston Martin-Auburn-Austin.Autro Daimler-Autocrat-Ballot-Bayliss Thomas-Bean-Beadmore-Belsize-bentley-Benz-Berliet-
Bianchi-Bigan-Brocklebank-BSA-Bugatti-Buick-Cadilac- Calthorpe-Charron laycock-Chernardwalcker-Chevolet
-Chrysler-Citreon-Clyno-Crossley-Crouch-Daimler-Darracq-
De dion-Delage-Delaunay Belleville-Diatto-Donnet-Duont-Durant-E.H.P- Erskine-Essex-Excelsior-
Falcon knight-Fiat-F.A.S.T.-Farman-Ford-Frazer Nash-Galloway- GrahamPage-Gwynne-Hampton- H.E.
Hillman- Hispano Suiza-Hortsman Hotchkiss-Hudson-
Humber-Hupmobile-Invicta-Jowett-Kissel-Lagonda-
Lanchester-Lancia-La Salle- Lea francis-Lincon- Lorraine-
Lorraine Dietrich-Magnetic-Marmon-Mathis-Mercedes-MG-
Metallurgique-Minerva-Morgon- Morris- Napier- Nash- Nazaro- Newton Ceirno-Oakland-O.M.- Omega-
Overland_Packard-Paige- Panhard-Peugeot-Rernault- Rhode-Riley-Rochet schnieder-Rollan pilain-Rollin-
Rolls Royce-Rover-Salmson-Schneider-Senechal-Singer-
Sizair Berwick-S.P.A.- Spyker-Standard-Star- Steyr-
Studebaker-Stutz-Sunbeam-Swift-Talbot-Talbot Darracq-
Thomas-Triumph-Trojan-Vauxhall- Vernon Derby- Vosin-
Vulcan-Willys knight-Wolsely.

Pleas forgive me if the list is not complete as my memory is not what it was :D:D

johnmc

Reaction score
Wow, quite a list from Malcolm, time is cruel to car brands for sure.

Given my own experience watching engineering jobs (including my own last job) head to Asia I'd give them 10 years of work in the UK. Merc has a plant in India (to avoid import duty), don't see any reason why a final assembly plant could not be spun up for Jags and Landrovers, and over time transfer out the jobs.

I'm personally believe that the next decade will be a huge shake-out for car makers everywhere. Cars are getting very complex, regulations are pushing costs up and the new technologies like fuel cells and hybrids are not helping. But, change is needed if the industry is to have a long term future, and long term is likely 30 years given the oil situation.

This is just the start, only a few will survive, period, even with cost reductions.

John

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Personally think Ford did a good job bringing the quality back to land rover and jag. I dont think Tata will give tha brands the same forward development afterall they did make a 190 pickup.

jib

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
Should secure jobs in the short term though, watched BBC Midlands News the other day and workers seemed quite happy about this deal saying it was what they wanted.

verytalldave

Reaction score
Its like having the choice between a rock and hard place.
They dont have any real say in the matter, and I am sure Tata couldnt care less about a few hundred people in the UK.
So they might as well at least make pleasant noises.

Or is that being a tad cynical?

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
The lads at Halewood are really mift about the take over. They where thinking that curry on the canteen menu now may be cheaper- but it's not.

J

jon_harley

The Jaguar factory a couple of miles from me got closed a couple of years back, so it won't make much impact here. Wonder if the other place on the other side of town will be affected.

I bet what Tata really wants is the ready-made dealer network.

Top Bottom