Tesla share prices!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Did anyone have the foresight to buy Tesla shares last year? I didn't:rolleyes:. Gone from $250 this time last year to $1500. Someone I know invested £150k from a house sale - now worth £1 million. I'd be selling but he thinks there are further massive increases to come. A friend made £50k in 4 weeks as well on these. I wish I'd listened to him when he suggested buying!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It's always easy to look back with regret at these things but another thing entirely to have the cojones to put 150k on something that could see you lose it.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Many years ago when Gerald Ratner opened his mouth too wide and the shares in the company plummeted my Brother in Law said to me 'They won't go broke, I am going to buy as many shares in Ratners as I am able and just sit back and watch the money roll in'. :)

Famous last words, he lost a lot of money on that assumption. :rolleyes::)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Mt musk has also opened his mouth and said stupid things, but tesla shares just went up anyway .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It's always easy to look back with regret at these things but another thing entirely to have the cojones to put 150k on something that could see you lose it.
Shares can go down as well as up...

My parents had a friend who invested his entire inheritance in a little known company called Chemring, in 1982. They made military ammunition and, as it turned out, had been on the edge of bankruptcy for years. Then, the Falklands campaign kicked off and for 100 days, half of the Royal Navy did nothing but launch chaff rockets every half an hour.
Then, the western navies got to see just how effective those rockets were, and Chemring’s stock bloomed.
Last I heard, the friend had gone and bought about a million thousand acres of Kiwiland and retired at 42.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

My parents had a friend who invested his entire inheritance in a little known company called Chemring, in 1982. They made military ammunition and, as it turned out, had been on the edge of bankruptcy for years. Then, the Falklands campaign kicked off and for 100 days, half of the Royal Navy did nothing but launch chaff rockets every half an hour.
Then, the western navies got to see just how effective those rockets were, and Chemring’s stock bloomed.
Last I heard, the friend had gone and bought about a million thousand acres of Kiwiland and retired at 42.
For every story like that, there’ll be a thousand that went the other way...
I know a few people that invested heavily in NTL (the cable TV company before it became Virgin) their share price went from pretty much nothing to $115. They then got hit with the dot com crash and went through chapter 11. Shares became worthless.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Jesus where have you been buddy :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nearly bourght some a couple of weeks ago when they were 1000 USD but didn’t . Better off buying some Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (10% Tesla ) .
Whoever puts all their money into a single share needs their head looking at :rolleyes:

OP
P

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whoever puts all their money into a single share needs their head looking at :rolleyes:
Except of course where your single holding goes up by 600%. I'd be quite content with a £1m and would sell. In the case of the guy I mentioned his only other share holding is with a manufacturer of electric bikes. Bought at 7p - now trading at 70p. You can't help but feel that there's something in this elecktrickery thing.....

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Years ago when overseas I got some gold exploration shares and in 4 weeks they trebled in value and i sold them.
Does not happen very often and invested the proceeds in an ISA and is now part of my pension.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I'd only enter the share market for long term gains and following the "black swan" model - the inherent risk in the system is much higher than the models the finance industry use (COVID19 is a perfect example of this), so buy depressed riskier shares as you get better potential upside, and similar downside to supposed "blue chip companies" which in reality have equal potential disastrous downside but never the upside.

It's done me fine with 20 different shares invested over 15 years (10 doubled to quadrupled in value, 5 were about the same, 5 lost (3 to practically zero)...I bought each after bad headlines /a depressed view...but I lucked out at selling the majority for a house purchase in February this year or I'd probably have had much of the gains wiped out in March/April this year.

Even with 20 different shares I only ever had max 25% of my assets in shares and I thought that was risky, putting a large perecentage of wealth in just Tesla, especially after the huge recent seemably unexplainable gains would be mental.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I've just cashed in all my pension and invested in bitcoins, easy money apparently- all the celebs endorse it so it must be good. One of them even sorted out an ED for me so there is absolutely no doubt I'll be able to retire a billionaire before the weekend...

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Did anyone have the foresight to buy Tesla shares last year? I didn't:rolleyes:. Gone from $250 this time last year to $1500. Someone I know invested £150k from a house sale - now worth £1 million. I'd be selling but he thinks there are further massive increases to come. A friend made £50k in 4 weeks as well on these. I wish I'd listened to him when he suggested buying!

Just wow.

Don't worry.. I am sure you are doing fine.. Dumping 250k on one stock seems madness.. and while it all seems grand and dandy at the moment... look at what happened Wirecard in Germany.

Tesla sure is a hot stock at the moment and i've a few pals here and there talking about solid gains at various points..

I do feel your pain though... I remember telling my dad about Apple in February 2008 @ $80USD and cringe to think about it these days. The current price represents a 7:1 in 2014 too :eek:

There was a thread on here a while back about stock market trading.. I don't really bother as I don't have time to research the companies and read balance sheets, and in my opinion, without that it's basically just gambling.

OP
P

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh I'm not worrying Conor thanks:) and yes I do fine. I'm of the same view as you on stock trading. Some will have made 100's of millions from Tesla shares - good luck to them. Not for me though and had I invested and made a million I would be bailing now and spreading the cash around in gratitude.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just wow.

Don't worry.. I am sure you are doing fine.. Dumping 250k on one stock seems madness.. and while it all seems grand and dandy at the moment... look at what happened Wirecard in Germany.

Tesla sure is a hot stock at the moment and i've a few pals here and there talking about solid gains at various points..

I do feel your pain though... I remember telling my dad about Apple in February 2008 @ $80USD and cringe to think about it these days. The current price represents a 7:1 in 2014 too :eek:

There was a thread on here a while back about stock market trading.. I don't really bother as I don't have time to research the companies and read balance sheets, and in my opinion, without that it's basically just gambling.
Don’t confuse investing with trading buddy , buying individual company shares that you have researched and have to keep researching is a world of difference from buying funds or Investment Trusts that hold 20-80 shares in them , that are run by professionals that do your research for you .
Some of these have been around for over 100 years .
Because of your age , don’t think I wish I had bought that “share” last year , start thinking I wish I had bought that Fund/IT 30-50 years ago , which you could do now

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom