The car is no more (not for the faint hearted)

Darrell Cooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 1998 3ltr turbo diesel
Hi to all, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I have a story to tell.

The wife and I were travelling home on christmas day along the A11 near Red Lodge. It is a quiet dual carrigeway but all of a sudden we came up on a car, red puma as it happens, rather quickly. We had been following along in a small group of cars doing around 70 ish. I swereved, to avoid said Puma, into the outside lane where I lost control for a second. While fighting to regain control the woman in the puma undertook us and as a result I hit her in the rear quarter and spun both of us out. We spun 180 degrees and flew off the road into the tress, which brought us to a very sudden stop. You can see the result in the photo below.

It took the fire brigade two and a half hours to cut me out of the car. The wife thankfully walked away with a few cuts and bruises. There were engines from 3 brigades several police cars, ambulances and the air ambulance. I can't say thank you enough to those guys, they were great.

My injuries were exstensive, I had broken my left ankle, my right leg in 2 places below the knee, dislocated my left shoulder, broken my nose and 3 ribs and broken and dislocated my right hip.

I spent 8 weeks in Addenbrokes hospital whee I was looked after really well. I certainly can't complain about my treatment, at one stage it was taking 5 nurses to turn me to change the sheets etc.

I am now back at work and on the way to recovery however, mainly i have to say to the great work of the people who desighned my Mercedes. The pictures are not the best of the car as they were taken on my sons phone but I think they show the damage and how lucky we were that we were in a large german car.

Darrell

Attachments

• DSC00148.JPG
    DSC00148.JPG
    384.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00150.jpg
    DSC00150.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 370
  • xray02 (2).jpg
    xray02 (2).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 303
  • xray06 (2).jpg
    xray06 (2).jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 260

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Pleased that you are back at work and that you are able to look back on the incident philosophically or at all.

Mic

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
ouch!

and how was the woman in the puma?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Looks as if the car hit a substantial tree amidships---The equivalent of todays EURO-NCAP pole test. A very severe test of a car's structural integrity- in anything other than a Merc you might not have been posting this. It's worth taking a look at some of the recent pole test video's on the EURO NCAP site---- makes interesting viewing ----- Glad you recovered OK.

http://www.euroncap.com/Player.aspx?nk=bf21c32d-e1ed-40d2-ab41-be63d0a9802b

wkdc230k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C280 Sport
All I can say is, all the best with the recovery a long healing process. The main thing is that you still here.

Abz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ClK270cdi, R56 Mini Cooper S , Range Rover Sport HSE (stolen) E400 (Coupe on the way)
Wow, I'm glad you live to tell the story, all the best with your rehabilitation.

Reaction score
Website
rsi-cda.mercedes-benz.com
Your Mercedes
C250 Sport 2011
Hi to all, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I have a story to tell.

The wife and I were travelling home on christmas day along the A11 near Red Lodge. It is a quiet dual carrigeway but all of a sudden we came up on a car, red puma as it happens, rather quickly. We had been following along in a small group of cars doing around 70 ish. I swereved, to avoid said Puma, into the outside lane where I lost control for a second. While fighting to regain control the woman in the puma undertook us and as a result I hit her in the rear quarter and spun both of us out. We spun 180 degrees and flew off the road into the tress, which brought us to a very sudden stop. You can see the result in the photo below.

It took the fire brigade two and a half hours to cut me out of the car. The wife thankfully walked away with a few cuts and bruises. There were engines from 3 brigades several police cars, ambulances and the air ambulance. I can't say thank you enough to those guys, they were great.

My injuries were exstensive, I had broken my left ankle, my right leg in 2 places below the knee, dislocated my left shoulder, broken my nose and 3 ribs and broken and dislocated my right hip.

I spent 8 weeks in Addenbrokes hospital whee I was looked after really well. I certainly can't complain about my treatment, at one stage it was taking 5 nurses to turn me to change the sheets etc.

I am now back at work and on the way to recovery however, mainly i have to say to the great work of the people who desighned my Mercedes. The pictures are not the best of the car as they were taken on my sons phone but I think they show the damage and how lucky we were that we were in a large german car.

Darrell

Congrats on your recovery Darrell........

This is exactly the reason Daimler spend €1m per day on R&D for MB!

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-1210212-1-1210622-1-0-0-0-0-0-12080-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
That's an amazing amount of energy transfer there.

It naturally looks even more dramatic, as the F.B. ( proper heroes ) have chopped her all up ( been there & experienced that when my YOUNGER <twat> brother borrowed a car of mine & decided to land in someones front garden ! ).

I wish you a speedy recovery & YES, Mercs may rust ( some of the rogue models ), but they are STRONG when it's needed !

:cool:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom