The contradictions of battery operated vehicles.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
re electric this guy tells it like it is - check 4 mins 40 seconds for the real environmental impact of electric vehicles

and if this floats your boat - the three part "camping" holiday on a Triumph tiger, a GS and a KTM is worth wasting a bit of time on

Last edited:

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
But it’s easier to smog filter one power station, than it is to control the emissions of 10,000 cars, and with emission zones springing up everywhere it seems. Having said that, he does make a case for Hybrids might in the short term rather than pure EV.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
why is it always us car owners that end up footing the bill for everything ? they dont stop people breeding , that would help the planet a damn sight more and are the streets going to be littered with uncharged electric cars when there are too many for the national grid to keep up with ??

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
90k miles before an electric has got over its damage to the planet vs a petrol, and that excludes the production of a second battery needed by then

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
90k miles before an electric has got over its damage to the planet vs a petrol, and that excludes the production of a second battery needed by then
The only thought I have ref eV is that everything to do with them electronic, electrical is more hassle and more expense than early suck squeeze bang blow. I think if one must. Hybrid is best choice, at least with them ur near always likely to get home.
I am sticking to tidiest 4 door classic I can find. At 64 I have no interest in becoming a makers paying Guinea pig and I am past feeling any need to impress anyone else. I also sure that mobilo? Or AA won't be spending much time on my drive and I won't need a new tool kit every 5 Yr to get the latest b/shxt fasteners out..

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
How about, instead of digging in and finding the use case where EVs do not work, you try and find where it works and is applicable. Back in the early 80s my carb’d Cortina averaged 26mpg and 30 was the holy grail. In 2006 I bought a 42” plasma screen for a grand. Early adopters should not be laughed at or derided because they make it cheaper for those that follow to get the benefits of the technology evolution. Sure a hybrid works for you but if no one buys an EV then the platform is never developed, and eventually dinosaur juice is £10 a litre and there are no v8s or v6s or even personal cars.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How about, instead of digging in and finding the use case where EVs do not work, you try and find where it works and is applicable. Back in the early 80s my carb’d Cortina averaged 26mpg and 30 was the holy grail. In 2006 I bought a 42” plasma screen for a grand. Early adopters should not be laughed at or derided because they make it cheaper for those that follow to get the benefits of the technology evolution. Sure a hybrid works for you but if no one buys an EV then the platform is never developed, and eventually dinosaur juice is £10 a litre and there are no v8s or v6s or even personal cars.
Not developing the EV platform is probably the best outcome for all of us…

OP
Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
No doubt EV's will take their place and take a small slice of the market for personal transport but until problems with limited operating range, and lack of recharging infrastructure are solved they will have limited success, people forget electric cars have been round for almost 200 years, they have had plenty of time to prove themselves.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Surely we all remember the electric milk floats 40 odd years back. It was the noise of the rattling bottles that let you know their presence

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
What's the cost of an ev battery? If a merc hybrid battery costs £10-£13.000 now, then god forbid what a full ev one will cost, never mind what it will do to the residual value of the car and the cost to the environment.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
No doubt EV's will take their place and take a small slice of the market for personal transport but until problems with limited operating range, and lack of recharging infrastructure are solved they will have limited success, people forget electric cars have been round for almost 200 years, they have had plenty of time to prove themselves.

The range / charging reason for not going electric doesn`t wash any more for a majority of the car buying public.

What % of car users actually need 300+ daily range from a vehicle , not many i would wager. We have a guy at work that does 115 miles daily in a five year old Leaf without issues , with a bit of planning it has cost him £70 in "leccy" since the start of the year - as a contrast to this i put £195 in the Porker in the last month.

Chargers are springing up everywhere from lamp posts being "retrofitted" with outlets to numerous fast chargers at nearly all supermarkets so unless you live in a high flat (tower block) or cannot park anywhere near your home then it shouldn`t be to much of an inconvenience to run a fully electric vehicle.

IMHO the reason there are not more on the road is the cost + availability , once (if) these issues are addressed then they will become far more popular than they are ATM.

If you are not a "car" person , once you buy / lease the vehicle then £0 tax and minimal running costs have got to make them a serious contender as a daily , plus you will always have that feeling of "smugness" as you think you are the answer to the planets problems , even though you actually may be causing more environmental problems when the car and power components need recycling but by that time they will have re-leased another electric vehicle .

K

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The high fuel prices and with no prospect of any dramatic change must push more towards the EV when it comes to change.

I can't find a sensible argument against for my usual use of a car so at the moment I am keeping my head down.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The high fuel prices and with no prospect of any dramatic change must push more towards the EV when it comes to change.

I can't find a sensible argument against for my usual use of a car so at the moment I am keeping my head down.
Anyone would think the fuel prices are there to “help” drivers into EV…:rolleyes:

As they say “the beatings will continue, until moral improves”…:eek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Dor the vast majority of people 150 mile range is perfectly fine for 90% of their usage.
Most cars are used for commuting and running to the shops. For that purpose an EV will beat an ICE car hands down. Cheaper, no warm up issues, no point of use pollution, no issues with ULEZ zones.
Where EVs come unstuck us longer journeys. Then an ICE has the upper hand due to range but (Blobcat aside) how many people do 300 miles per day every other day? I'd say a very small percentage.

For holidays the money saved on fuel could easily pay for a rental to get the best of both.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Anyone would think the fuel prices are there to “help” drivers into EV…:rolleyes:

As they say “the beatings will continue, until moral improves”…:eek:
Perhaps someone remembers it better than I do but I seem to remember that a couple of political parties wanted higher fuel prices.

The impact is there for all to see on the wider economy.

I suppose they will be very quiet.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Perhaps someone remembers it better than I do but I seem to remember that a couple of political parties wanted higher fuel prices.

The impact is there for all to see on the wider economy.

I suppose they will be very quiet.
Well, I looked it up and the very same ones are now calling for a payment to ease the strain on household budgets of the very price rises they were calling for, little treasures.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Dor the vast majority of people 150 mile range is perfectly fine for 90% of their usage.
Most cars are used for commuting and running to the shops. For that purpose an EV will beat an ICE car hands down. Cheaper, no warm up issues, no point of use pollution, no issues with ULEZ zones.
Where EVs come unstuck us longer journeys. Then an ICE has the upper hand due to range but (Blobcat aside) how many people do 300 miles per day every other day? I'd say a very small percentage.

For holidays the money saved on fuel could easily pay for a rental to get the best of both.
Now that’s an interesting point that is stumping the same carmakers pushing the ride-hailing model. Car ownership. Like home ownership, it turns out that humans have a desire to possess things, not just have use of them. So one of the major routes this was going down- pardon the pun- was for “normal drivers” not to own or lease or rent cars, but for large corporate fleet services to. One would then call a ride via an app, the autonomous car arrives and whisks one away on the journey, to be paid for digitally of course.
Customers don’t like that, at all.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom