OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
Typical Ebay Car

Item number: 230381096900 .

Just the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Haven't viewed it ,although its an hour away from me and I fancy a 190, so can't say for sure, but it just smacks of "ebay-ness"

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Thats a hell of a selling story mate. I'm not surprised though, the worlds not as nice a place as it was when I was growing up and just getting involved in cars 25 years ago.
I would have loved to have been there, to see it and no worries I'd have given you some support. Looks from the pics of your car , your coastal, Fylde Coast by any chance? Fairly close to me thats why I mention it. Your E240 looks a good buy by the way.

well spotted that man .............yep Fylde Coast just up by Rossall School Simionaurs (Aka the Flashing Mercedes Vampire) is just over the river from me in Stalmine

We're off for a beer in the next few weeks to the Shard bridge Inn If you fancy it I'll give you the heads up when its arranged

OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
Yep mate I'll have a slice of that , give the old Panzer a run to the coast. Have a couple of mates in St.Annes, I'll try to get them up too

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Item number: 230381096900 .

Just the sort of thing I'm talking about.
Haven't viewed it ,although its an hour away from me and I fancy a 190, so can't say for sure, but it just smacks of "ebay-ness"

Only my opinion for what it's worth,even if that car really had done only 106,000 miles,the 2.0 diesel,or diesal as advertised,is deathly slow and does only 10 mpg more than the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol engined version.
I am sure you're right,if the car had been looked after,it wouldn't have needed a respray,probably been a taxi,the mileage could have been right,but for the second time.......

Regards,
Nick.

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
My experience of EEK-Bay is the same as most have said.

Chancers selling overpriced items and trying to rip off the gullible (FFS it a packing bag full of air, nothing special).

I have sold some things on there with excellent feedback in the past as needs must. Some items had a reserve but generally I sold them for less if the price was in my eyes fair. I have also purchased one car off there. It was a local car so I contacted, viewed and bought it there and then cash outside of ebay. I am nervous of the high sales EBAY traders who are not a company. You get to spot the people you know from the classic car scene and know their "EBAY name". There is also some who have multiple ID's or friends who then push up the price of items one ID is selling. This cannot be proved by I know it goes on.

Key for me is research your item fully, view it (as all buying guides go), drive it, etc then know your limit and do not go over that amount.

Diggers

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Fleabay is no way to buy a car ............. unless you have time on your hands, and know what your doing !!

AndrewCrowne

Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

On e-bay I have developed a filtering system, if any of the below occur, then its a red flag and I do not go near the car:

1. Poor Spelling
2. Unnecessary detail about how they bought it and why it is for sale
3. Poor car knowledge and inaccurate descriptions
4. Silly user name
5. The setting of the photographs, it is amazing what one can deduce.
6. Silly graphics
7. Injudicious use of CAPITAL letters

I have had some very good buying experiences with Porsche, BMW and Land Rover sellers.

A

OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
I'm glad folks are enjoying this discussion. I use similar filters and they invariably tell you a lot about the car before even speaking to seller

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Interesting discussion.

On e-bay I have developed a filtering system, if any of the below occur, then its a red flag and I do not go near the car:

1. Poor Spelling
2. Unnecessary detail about how they bought it and why it is for sale
3. Poor car knowledge and inaccurate descriptions
4. Silly user name
5. The setting of the photographs, it is amazing what one can deduce.
6. Silly graphics
7. Injudicious use of CAPITAL letters

Thank you for this post.
Here's one I saw when looking for my 190 that fulfills all your criteria,it's been on there for months.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-IMMACULATE-CLASSIC-1987-MERCEDES-190-TIMEWARP_W0QQitemZ200389614503QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2ea826dba7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1963wt_1165

Ironically,it possibly is as good as he says(about 100 times:))
If the seller deleted all the text and dropped his price by £1000,I reckon it might sell.

Regards,
Nick.

dervmerc

Reaction score
I would'nt "buy" a car from an E-Bay seller.It's a maze of people selling cars which they've had for 5 minutes and suddenley decided they no longer have the time, or more important "other" projects, or "need the room" and my favourite, "selling for someone else who has'nt internet access.Wonder if any of these reasons ring alarm bells for others? Buying something unseen or travel great distances to see what a waste of time and money it was bothering or just buy it,find you've bought a lemon and then re-advertise as above...

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Thank you for this post.
Here's one I saw when looking for my 190 that fulfills all your criteria,it's been on there for months.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-IMMACULATE-CLASSIC-1987-MERCEDES-190-TIMEWARP_W0QQitemZ200389614503QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2ea826dba7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1963wt_1165

Ironically,it possibly is as good as he says(about 100 times:))
If the seller deleted all the text and dropped his price by £1000,I reckon it might sell.

Regards,
Nick.

Hi Nick, THAT is without question an "Old" wedding Car the seller obviously knows his onions (Hes been on the Russian site for info)

But as you say at least a grand overpriced coz at the end of the day it's a 1987 motor whether its got 250K on it or 11 miles!!!!!

deanb

Reaction score
I've bought and sold a few cars on ebay, however always speak to the vendor and view before handing over any money and you shouldn't have a problem... although there does seem to be very little in the way of quality bargains on there anymore.

As for Jag reliability.... I've owned a 230 estate for 4 months and its broken down 3 times, the only problem I ever had with the british leylands in over 6 years was a shot wheel bearing at 90mph on the m42...both marques though will make you feel like a millionaire and make mondeo drivers envious!

OP
walshy66

walshy66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 W140 1998
I've bought and sold a few cars on ebay, however always speak to the vendor and view before handing over any money and you shouldn't have a problem... although there does seem to be very little in the way of quality bargains on there anymore.

As for Jag reliability.... I've owned a 230 estate for 4 months and its broken down 3 times, the only problem I ever had with the british leylands in over 6 years was a shot wheel bearing at 90mph on the m42...both marques though will make you feel like a millionaire and make mondeo drivers envious!

And the Jag will turn heads, no doubt about that. Chrome is better on them and the wood too. A good Series 3 will set you back a bit these days, but that V12 is SUPERB. Sounds, the closest thing you'll get to a turbine engine in a car. Both cars have their merits and minus's, both lovely to own, and both can be had for a song compared to modern junk

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Well, i buy nearly all my cars off Ebay.
Its certainly true there is plenty of dross out there. I bought an XJS last year, and it turned out to be an absolute rotter. I lost about £1500 on it and had to sell it as a project:( (fibreglass in seat belt mounts anyone!:shock:)
This is rare for me though.
I've just sold an Alfa 156 V6 which i bought on there for £750. I had to weld up the inner arches and do some other minor tidying, then sold it for £1300.
I've also had a mint, and i mean mint, W124 230 that i got for £700. Fitted a DVD head unit and a second hand leather interior, and sold it for £1500.
2 owner, very tidy Jaguar X300 Sovereign: £600
Ford Scorpio 24V: £350
Etc, etc.

You'll only get scammed on Ebay if you don't stand up for yourself.
If the car is not as described, then you don't have to part with the cash.
I've refused a few cars after clicking the tempting "buy it now". Sure, the sellers weren't best pleased, but i'd rather have a filthy look, and some muttered obscenities than lose my hard earned cash.
Treat Ebay sales as you would any other type of car sale.
Don't go alone, and don't be afraid to point out if you think the seller is telling porkies!

I tend to go for adverts that include a phone number. You get to speak to someone, and get a feeling for what they're like, rather than just a faceless web page.

Ask anyone in the trade, and they'll always tell you they try not to buy cars from the general public... because they're always economical with the truth!:razz:

Ebay can be a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated or timid, but there are many genuine bargains to be found. Don't buy on a whim, and do your research!
I'd be more than happy to accompany any local members to potential sales if they need some help;)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom