Thermostat Change

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I have suspected for a while the old thermo needs changed. The engine gets up to temp then fluctuates between 90 and 80 but if I give it some beans it goes up as expected. Today I drove to kendal had a slight glance at the temp and within a second it dropped to 20 then went straight back up to 87. The return journey there was no issues. So... I guessing the thermostat is a bit sticky and needs replacing as far as I'm aware it's never been changed in 11 years. :eek:.
Has anyone came across any decent thermostat Change DIY vids?

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Even with a faulty thermostat, I wouldn't expect 70 degree temperature fluctuations within a second.

You might have a temperature sensor issue.
If might be air locks in the system (can cause rapid temperature fluctuations as the air moves round the system).
You might have a thermostat AND a temperature sensor issue.

"The engine gets up to temp then fluctuates between 90 and 80 but if I give it some beans it goes up as expected"
This bit sounds like thermostat.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Usually throws a code up nowadays as the thermostat communicates with the ECU
No codes come up. The problem has persisted for well over a year now. No regen issues car runs fine just the temp goes up and down and little

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My S212 E350cdi thermostat lasted 6 years and 65k miles, there was no fluctuation in temperature just a steady decline to 60 degrees C over a couple of months before failing in the open position. If the car is fuelling ok you could live with it mine totally screwed up the fuel mixture to a cold engine choke setting so I had to get it done ASAP. At your car’s age/mileage though I’d do it in the near future MB‘s are renowned for short life faulty stats the one in my S210 lasted 50k miles - a very good earner for MB I’d say

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
My S212 E350cdi thermostat lasted 6 years and 65k miles, there was no fluctuation in temperature just a steady decline to 60 degrees C over a couple of months before failing in the open position. If the car is fuelling ok you could live with it mine totally screwed up the fuel mixture to a cold engine choke setting so I had to get it done ASAP. At your car’s age/mileage though I’d do it in the near future MB‘s are renowned for short life faulty stats the one in my S210 lasted 50k miles - a very good earner for MB I’d say
Think ill just one ordered and get it fired on. My car bearly does 1000 miles a year now just used on a Saturday. Sits outside the house as I use the van for work related stuff and wife has her own motor. Love driving it tho nothing beats MB in my opinion.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
So today the old engine light came on with code relating to the catalyst temperature sensor bank 1 range/performance. This issue has been around for about 3 years now and pops up a couple of times a year then disappears for months. In fact there's a thread I posted on here back in 2018 about in. Am i right in thinking that the 2 issues cannot be related as one is the water temp and the other is the temperature of the cat. o_O

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So today the old engine light came on with code relating to the catalyst temperature sensor bank 1 range/performance. This issue has been around for about 3 years now and pops up a couple of times a year then disappears for months. In fact there's a thread I posted on here back in 2018 about in. Am i right in thinking that the 2 issues cannot be related as one is the water temp and the other is the temperature of the cat. o_O
Your 2019 thread

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Seems you need to get these niggles sorted for once and for all OP.
Lingering faults dont disappear :), they stink after a while

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
They don't stink very much when you literally sit in the car once a month :p

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom