This government and renewable green fuels

Hibbo

Reaction score
I know the answers to these questions (NO!), but have sent this email to the DfT to see how they can justify their stance.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing as an individual who is concerned about the very real issues of climate change, energy supplies and security thereof.

Determined to do my bit and reduce my carbon footprint as much as possible, I have made a commitment to run my car on the fuel that is closest to carbon neutral and from a renewable source.
I have researched all the alternative road fuels available and have concluded that (by quite some margin) the most environmentally sound fuel is vegetable oil.

The reduction in carbon emissions is nearly 100% as compared to mineral diesel, as the carbon released when the fuel burns was originally absorbed by the crop prior to harvest. There is no heavy industrial processing required as is the case with fuels derived from crude oil, and it has no mineral content whatsoever (BioDiesel by contrast contains around 20% fossil-methanol).

My question now is how do I apply for a grant towards the cost of converting my vehicle?
As grants are available for LPG conversions - and LPG as a fossil hydrocarbon releases carbon when burnt just as all fossil fuels do - then I assume that a grant MUST be available to convert to a carbon-neutral renewable fuel.

Similarly, I assume that once converted my vehicle will be exempt from VED, just as carbon-emitting fossil fuel burning 'alternative fuel' (hybrid, LPG etc) vehicles are.

Although this is pretty obvious to anyone who understands the government's commitment to renewable fuels and carbon emission reductions, I would be grateful if you could confirm this to me and advise on how I apply.

Yours faithfully,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

;)

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
I know the answers to these questions (NO!), but have sent this email to the DfT to see how they can justify their stance.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing as an individual who is concerned about the very real issues of climate change, energy supplies and security thereof.

Determined to do my bit and reduce my carbon footprint as much as possible, I have made a commitment to run my car on the fuel that is closest to carbon neutral and from a renewable source.
I have researched all the alternative road fuels available and have concluded that (by quite some margin) the most environmentally sound fuel is vegetable oil.

The reduction in carbon emissions is nearly 100% as compared to mineral diesel, as the carbon released when the fuel burns was originally absorbed by the crop prior to harvest. There is no heavy industrial processing required as is the case with fuels derived from crude oil, and it has no mineral content whatsoever (BioDiesel by contrast contains around 20% fossil-methanol).

My question now is how do I apply for a grant towards the cost of converting my vehicle?
As grants are available for LPG conversions - and LPG as a fossil hydrocarbon releases carbon when burnt just as all fossil fuels do - then I assume that a grant MUST be available to convert to a carbon-neutral renewable fuel.

Similarly, I assume that once converted my vehicle will be exempt from VED, just as carbon-emitting fossil fuel burning 'alternative fuel' (hybrid, LPG etc) vehicles are.

Although this is pretty obvious to anyone who understands the government's commitment to renewable fuels and carbon emission reductions, I would be grateful if you could confirm this to me and advise on how I apply.

Yours faithfully,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx

;)

NICE ONE with Global warming TODAYS NEWS i wonder what sort of reply you will get and which numptie will put his name in the frame for the reply. NOT Lord Levy or Tony bLIAR :rolleyes: But from this all talk and no action stealth tax government i think your farting into the breeze almost as bad as the smell when your running on SVO. HOWEVER since they dont know who you are maybe you will get a result dont forget to keep us informed. Have you thought about going public on this the Newspapers all the SMP's and MP's The Green Party and our European 'EU friends' tax harmonisation to save the planet. Re Boidiesel/taxation i got a reply from my input to their consultation document probably just an automated reply though :(

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A good letter I hope they send you a real reply. The only slight issue I see is that the Powershift grants for LPG conversions stopped a few years ago as it became too popular...

stever

Reaction score
There are a number of problems with vegetable oil as fuel, not least that there would never be enough land to support it on a large scale if we are to feed ourselves as well. But as part of a more general diversification it has its place.
I understand that grants for LPG have not been available for some time. Incidentally, as LPG is a by-product of refining that would otherwise be flared off, there's an argument for saying it's carbon neutral.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom