Thudding brakes on 190

LNM

Reaction score
Changed front disks on 190. Trying to get rid of worrying thumping noise under hard braking before I changed the disks which I attributed (I assume I was right in this) to them being warped. So, it seems that I've wasted my time because its sill ****** doing it.

Presumably the ABS is not related to the speed of the car; i.e. it will always pulse on and off regardless of the road speed. The thumping is fast when the car is going fast and slow when the car going slow.

?

whitey

Reaction score
Check tyres,not balancing but uneven wear/damage.Check wheels for damage.Check propshaft coupling.

Last edited:

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
LNM said:
Changed front disks on 190. Trying to get rid of worrying thumping noise under hard braking before I changed the disks which I attributed (I assume I was right in this) to them being warped. So, it seems that I've wasted my time because its sill ****** doing it.

Presumably the ABS is not related to the speed of the car; i.e. it will always pulse on and off regardless of the road speed. The thumping is fast when the car is going fast and slow when the car going slow.

?

Mine does the same. But it only started after i replaced the pads front and rear!! Its like the whole car pulses in time with the speed of the car!!!!!

WTF's going on with our cars?? Anyone???

Stu

joe bloggs

Reaction score
Can you feel the thump through the steering, or the pedal, make sure the rear discs are ok, the inner face can corrode badly.
Seems mercs seem to suffer more than other models for rust patches forming on the discs at the point where the (damp?) pad was touching the disc when the car is parked up, usually this cleans off, but if the car is left for more than a few days in damp conditions a more severe rust patch can form which gives you a vibration / noise when braking. When washing the car give it a run round the block to dry off the pads before parking up.
As you have changed the front discs have a look at the rears, also check all suspension components are ok, don't think it is your ABS as the pitch alters with speed.

OP
LNM

LNM

Reaction score
I'll do the rear ones; need to do them on the 124 as well, that used to do it _very_ slightly but it went after I repalced the fronts.

propshaft coupling: hmmm. when driven at about 30 mph the car kind of vibrates as thought there's a wheel out of balance but you can't feel it through the steering.

Ta for replies. I'll continue looking.

stwat:

Don't despair matey !!! I was looking aroung the car park in work yesterday and mine is the olderst car by at least five years out of about two hundred and there's some quite posh motors there. Makes me feel kinda special that I'm driving something that lasts so well and was built PROPERLY, so I'm not really that bothered about a little thudding noise here and there !!! Its even better when I'm in the coupe !!!

Top Bottom