Timing chain issues?

Janina308D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 308D/1991/2.3D
Hi guys,
I have old sprinter van 308D, 2.3 D, no turbo. We got some weird loud clicking noise comming out of the engine. We checked the oik presure - very low... Ordered new pump. Started to disasemble and found out that one of the wheels/pinion(?) inside is a lot worn out. Pieces fallen of the teeth. Have anyone ever seen anything like this? Any advice?
Thanks for any!
J.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Oil pump unlikely resolve issue. Low oil press normally caused by engine wear and increased clearances letting pressurized oil escape.

Interview the oil filter. Go from there.

OP
J

Janina308D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 308D/1991/2.3D
Im afraid we might be facing a bigger issue. In the oil pan we found scratches of metal definitelly from some sprocket wheel. So we decided to put the whole front down, we are not yet able to see the whole timing but on the visible upper sprocket the tips of the teeth were bitten off all around of it. Just wondering if anyone ever had such issues since the chain isnt one of the things to be changed on these motor usually.. But ours from some reason eats the insides. Cant upload a picture from my cell:(

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Maybe tensioner gave up .chain clatters about wrecking sprockets .check inside of timing case to see if chain has been flapping round and eating timing case.also as said cut oil filter open.see wots inside

OP
J

Janina308D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 308D/1991/2.3D
Tensioner already new:) we will check the insides of the timing case to see what else migh've happened there. Just had a call with a mechanic who saw the picture I cant upload and he said he never seen this before. Expect the unexpectable :( its the sprocket gear that runs the vaccuum pump that is being bitten off. We will also check the valve presure..

OP
J

Janina308D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 308D/1991/2.3D
reads like the engine maybe beyond saving :(
Nooooo we will try. It runs like the devil (has over some 230k km) just the clicking noise was awfull thus we decided to get in. And got this... We will do the whole timing chaine switch and see.. But apparently we are the exceprion that confirms that these motors are immortal:/ you know we'd like to know what might be the cause at least. Hydraulic lift covers changed, tensioner new, oil pump ordered and then you find this. Some body was pretty mean owner before us

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
I know that early M157 engines did have some suspect sprockets that did this pre 2012 so it isn't totally unheard of the MB gets it wrong?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom