Today in my ‘shop. R230 SL, boot open warning

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Quick one today. I haven’t seen this one covered, so here goes. Customer delivered car with complaints of boot open warning while driving. Initially stopping, opening and closing the boot would sort it, but it just got worse and worse. I parked the car next to a RangeRover to make it feel more reliable. (Damned with faint praise...).

The vacuum pull down was perfect evertime. No timeouts stored in the PSE. Boot was obviously closing correctly. Checked out the wiring running down the right hand boot hinge. All good. In this case the problem was in the boot latch microswitch. I’ve done a few of these. A lot of places will sell you a complete latch assembly. That’ll fix it, but you don’t need to spend £300. The rotary tumbler microswitch is available as a separate piece.

It fits here in the latch. You lift a little locking tab and just pull it out.

Quick and easy job. You’ll need to remove the boot liner trim panel, easiest with the roof down. The latch is held in with two torx screws. One vacuum pipe to remove, two electrical plugs and a clip that holds the emergency release bar.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Copied to DIY Here

bluesl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
For what it's worth, my Range Rover Sport has been much more reliable than my R230 SL55 AMG which has been shockingly unreliable all through its life and currently has a number of difficult to diagnose issues.

What do we know about the PSE overrunning after the boot lid self-closes? Mine works fine but continues to run long after the boot lid has closed until the PSE pump calls time and shuts down, requiring a power cycle to restart it. People talk about leaks in the boot latching mechanism but I cannot see or hear anything wrong. The air pipe only ever blows and there is a diverter valve which is set to activate either the small release actuator (the circular thing at the bottom of the picture) or the self-close actuator which is at the back of the mechanism in the picture. I assume there is a problem with one of the solenoid valves in the PSE and my car is going into the SLShop for them to run the diagnostics.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
For what it's worth, my Range Rover Sport has been much more reliable than my R230 SL55 AMG which has been shockingly unreliable all through its life and currently has a number of difficult to diagnose issues.

What do we know about the PSE overrunning after the boot lid self-closes? Mine works fine but continues to run long after the boot lid has closed until the PSE pump calls time and shuts down, requiring a power cycle to restart it. People talk about leaks in the boot latching mechanism but I cannot see or hear anything wrong. The air pipe only ever blows and there is a diverter valve which is set to activate either the small release actuator (the circular thing at the bottom of the picture) or the self-close actuator which is at the back of the mechanism in the picture. I assume there is a problem with one of the solenoid valves in the PSE and my car is going into the SLShop for them to run the diagnostics.
Always a leak in the pipe to the lock or the lock assembly. Have you tested it with a vacuum tester?

bluesl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Always a leak in the pipe to the lock or the lock assembly. Have you tested it with a vacuum tester?
Yes, pumped it up to 3 bar from where it connects to the PSE and left overnight. No loss of pressure.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The internal pressure sensor in the PSE pump is dead then. See it quite a lot with water damage. They just run and run and run until timeout, but with no leaks.

bluesl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Can that be repaired or is it a new PSE pump? I guess it’s over £1000…

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
David Arnott is your man. I’m sure he’s a member on here. He reconditions PSE units. He’s helped me out a lot

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom