Tomtom Or Command

124coupe

Reaction score
At the risk of this going on forever.... both my Tomtom One and my E-class Comand use Navteq maps as the base (see the "Navteq on board" logos and the "who we supply" links on their website).

Tomtom just decided to tell us the file structure their apps expect to read (on the data card or hard disk) so we just add POIs and favourites using Windows explorer - the app then loads them as overlays on the map.

Merc could do the same (except a DVD-R would be needed for each change - which would be fine at a few pence each). They just decided not to.

Navteq don't make the navigation application for either company - they just supply the mapping data, including the subset of Navteq's huge POI database that each chooses to subscribe to.

niva441

Reaction score
Sorry if I've missed this over the length of this thread. However can Command accept POI files, such as safety cameras etc?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Major ommission on MB's part - it should have a standard format for files (able to read the tomtom ones would be a good start) and have an sd card slot for 'user data'. Then you could load pois etc without issue. They could even offer data updates and patches to download but that would probably be too helpful!
I'll stick to my crude but cheap and flexible tomtom.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
124coupe said:
At the risk of this going on forever.... both my Tomtom One and my E-class Comand use Navteq maps as the base (see the "Navteq on board" logos and the "who we supply" links on their website).

Tomtom just decided to tell us the file structure their apps expect to read (on the data card or hard disk) so we just add POIs and favourites using Windows explorer - the app then loads them as overlays on the map.

Merc could do the same (except a DVD-R would be needed for each change - which would be fine at a few pence each). They just decided not to.

Navteq don't make the navigation application for either company - they just supply the mapping data, including the subset of Navteq's huge POI database that each chooses to subscribe to.

All the latest DVD's from Mercedes use Teleatlas mapping data. Navteq were used for the earlier E class versions but MB apparently intend to standardise on Teleatlas throughout the range. It is actually Becker who make the COMAND units so it them who need to be moaned at not MB.

ba9rn

Reaction score
Seems that they are doing the reverse with TomTom. All early units (including mine) use TeleAtlas, and the newest model uses Navteq. From what I have seen, Mercedes (or Becker) have got this right - TeleAtlas maps are definitely superior (in Europe at least). Navteq is big in USA (that's what the Hertz 'NerverLost' Magellan-based system uses), so I expect they are better there.

As a complete aside, if anyone intends to fly-drive to USA, I strongly recommend paying a little extra and getting NeverLost (unless of course you have a TomTom or similar and take it with you ;) ). Hertz don't seem to offer it here yet, which is a shame.

Last edited:

124coupe

Reaction score
E-class DVD 5.1 is Navteq. I'm looking at it now - "Navteq on board" on the case. Are you saying the "not out yet" next one will move to Teleatlas?

Also, Harman Becker is the company that wrote the actual Navigation application
(or at least they have copyright symbols all over the code).

Last edited:

simon winn

Reaction score
I have Smartnav fitted to my 5 series - £400 inc fittting plus an annual fee - you phone up to tell an operator where you want to go and it directs you around traffic jams, warns of cameras and is a tracker - my only critisism is that it has a female voice that sometimes I 'tune out'.

OP
S

s5aif

Reaction score
I just got contacted by lovefilm who are offering me a free tomtom one but i need to refer 15 people. The registration is free and you get a free one month trial and you can cancel at anytime so there is no cost involved. I was wondering if any of you people can help me out. if you go to http://Stuff.Freefor.me.uk/index.php?referral=42 and click on the lovefilm icon and register it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
simon [/QUOTE said:
Simon,12 more post and you will be a member, 87 more and you will be a senior member, 9987 and you will be to old to care.:Oops:

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
All the latest DVD's from Mercedes use Teleatlas mapping data. Navteq were used for the earlier E class versions but MB apparently intend to standardise on Teleatlas throughout the range. It is actually Becker who make the COMAND units so it them who need to be moaned at not MB.
Just seen the attached for sale with 2GByte card http://www.becker.de/mobile/pdf/Flyer_Traffic_Assist_Highspeed_II_7988_EN_0906.pdf This has 8 digit post code search so when will Command?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Just seen the attached for sale with 2GByte card http://www.becker.de/mobile/pdf/Flyer_Traffic_Assist_Highspeed_II_7988_EN_0906.pdf This has 8 digit post code search so when will Command?

Believe me, I've looked into this long and hard.

I am an authorised Teleatlas reseller. I have contacts with Becker and Bosch at a very high level and have tried to ascertain the relationaship between each and Mercedes. It transpires that both Bosch and Becker have such a close tie up with MB that they will not deal with anyone else. I suspect an exclusive deal has been signed with each. Ditto teleatlas. Therefore we have to wait for Mercedes to release their version before we can make full use of 7 digit postcodes. My sources do not have a date when this will occur.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Those Becker / Bluapunkt / ViaMichelin portables have dropped in price enormously and are being replaced every few months. Quite neat unit, though

I finally gave in and bought a Satnav a few months ago but absolutely didn't want something stuck on the windscreen. I bought a Blaupunkt TravelPilot which is a CD / Radio / Satnav in a standard ISO unit so it fits the normal car stereo slot on a W124

Great unit - simple, accurate and stealthy. It doesn't have full Postcode but you can enter a road name and house number. If you buy the model that takes a speed pulse (there's one that does without) it's extremely accurate and faff-free

The map CD has to be loaded when you turn the unit on and enter a destination. After that you can remove the CD and it keeps a map "corridor" for your route and roads around it. That's a pain if you want to listen to music but the easy answer is to add a CD changer or an iPod

It's quite Old School (if there is such a thing as Old School satnav) but I like that. A good solution for older cars, I think

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
J

jjb

Is there a user manual / eManual for the latest COMAND system anywhere on the web? I've searched, but can not find one.

(Reason for asking - I have ordered a new car, but would like to read the COMAND manual before the car arrives ;) )

Reaction score
Tom Tom

I have used Tom Tom and Command - no question Tom Tom is much the better.

chunybryan

Reaction score
Tom Tom

I have a Dell Axim X5 with bluetooth and a bluetooth receiver which i bought from E-bay works on Rif so does not have to have line of sight and sits in the glovebox.

Works great and i can swap into any other car very easily no wires. Kids can play games on the Dell Axim when it is not Tom-Toming.

Total kit cost about £140 from e-bay.

BRP

Reaction score
Replaced Range Rover (integrated touch screen full post code entry etc) with 06 S Class ( command and partial post code entry)
I was aprehensive at first as use car both in UK and France and Spain. Both units had TMC so that was equal, in Spain the post codes seem to cover a area so full entry not as vital, but in the UK command not as useful EXCEPT that the system using the command knob is far better than touch screen as does not entail as much deviation of concentration on the road, and also full information is allowed to be entered without stopping like in the RR. In other respects both are similar. I guess the Tom Tom is a nearer to the RR in use. One other point is that in Spain I am told it is not legal to use screen mounted equipment. I hope this information is of use.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Brodit Mounts

"That's why I bought a Brodit mount. Not only does it look tacky on the windscreen, the mark it leaves behind is a definite invitation to have your window broken in the off chance that you've left the TomTom in your car.)

Hi Ba9rn,
This discussion has been extremely interesting and informative and as a result I concluded that a Tomtom Go710 at less than £250 in the New Year Sales was not to be missed. I agree with your sentiments re suction mounts and wondered which Brodit mount you purchased for your C Class. I also wondered whether you feel any differently now that you have used it and might now with hind-sight suggest something different.

Can anybody please advise how to 'jazz up' quots from earlier posts to help make them stand out?

Many thanks on both counts,

J

jjb

Can anybody please advise how to 'jazz up' quots from earlier posts to help make them stand out?

By clicking on the "QUOTE" button and then editing the text, rather than the POST REPLY button ;)

Top Bottom