Too much oil

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270, 2008 Vito Sport X
I changed the oil and filter in my car on Saturday.
I put exactly 6.5l in from 2x4l containers
It wouldn't allow me to measure it. I kept getting 'observe waiting time'

On Monday I did measure it (level but not too warm)and it was 6.6l and asked me to take some out.
I figured 100ml wouldn't do it any harm but measured it last night when it was quite warm and it was reading 6.9/7.0.

I'm starting to think the sensors are approximate and a dip stick would be a good investment.

Question - I must not have gotten all the oil out, so how much should I remove?

Thanks.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Alway put half a ltr less then stated, as the oil gets hotter the more in volume its gets, it could be correct when cold, but rises once warm!!

LYNALL

Reaction score
I would take some out, mine has dipstick and the sensor and its very accurate.

Lynall

OP
B

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys.

I checked it again tonight (on a slight incline) and it was 9.2 so I took 1L out. I'll try it again tomorrow on the level.

Quick question - do I measure it cold, warm or hot?

Thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks guys.

I checked it again tonight (on a slight incline) and it was 9.2 so I took 1L out. I'll try it again tomorrow on the level.

Quick question - do I measure it cold, warm or hot?

Thanks again

Do it hot,,that is when the oil has expanded to the max

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
when i was serving my time at college, we were always told to check the oil when COLD. thats when most wear occurs and when an engine could be short of oil if not up to the level when hot! also many people with dipsticks do it when cold as it saves having to wipe the dipstick on some cars

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The highest mine has ever displayed is 6.2L, even after servicing when I supplied my own oil and they used 6.5L of it.

When the engine is hot, but has been stopped for a few mins, the level is a good half litre lower than that. It takes an overnight rest for it to read 6.2L.

I don't understand why yours would be reading way higher than that.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Always check when cold that is when most oil will be back in the sump,... when warm after sitting ten minutes would also give a fairly accurate reading

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The automated system will requires two points before it will work.
One is that the engine is warm, this is to prevent overfilling as the oil expands as it gets hot.
The second is to observe a waiting period after turning off the engine. This is to allow as much oil as possible to filter down to the sump.

Some engines keep quite a bit in the upper part of the engine. I know mine does and over filling is said to cause damage. I would imagine that the least would be for it to whizz up the breathers, get burnt and exit via those expensive cats depositing a layer of ash on the way.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The automated system will requires two points before it will work.
One is that the engine is warm, this is to prevent overfilling as the oil expands as it gets hot.
The second is to observe a waiting period after turning off the engine. This is to allow as much oil as possible to filter down to the sump.

Some engines keep quite a bit in the upper part of the engine. I know mine does and over filling is said to cause damage. I would imagine that the least would be for it to whizz up the breathers, get burnt and exit via those expensive cats depositing a layer of ash on the way.

Yes that is the danger,,contaminating the expensive CATs

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
It is my understanding that oil is checked hot, as this gives a consistent reading, regardless of the ambient temperature.

Between 0 Celsius and 80 Celsius oil will expand ~5%.
So that is almost 0.5 litres on some engines.

OP
B

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If only I could find somewhere to sell oil.

The story goes...I bought a 6.5L PELA vacumn. The oil level in my car was fine before I started.
On Saturday I took all the oil out (or so I thought) and this came to the max level on the vacumn.
I replaced the filter and added 6.5L exactly. On Monday there was 'Too much oil' so I looked up how to get a more accurate reading and it was 7.1L (when cold).
On Tuesday night while waiting for No.1 son, I read it again and it was 9.1L so I took 1L out on Wednesday.
Tonight there was 8.2L so I removed another 1L.

So the question is - where did all the oil come from. Maybe the pixies have been at their work again.

I've been changing oil in cars for years and this has me baffled - unless the sensor has gone faulty. How would I know?

And does oil turn that black after only 200 miles? And could this be put back in if I've removed too much?

Now I know why Mercedes are so expensive to get serviced - its the knowledge economy.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Did you remove the filter before using the Pela to remove the oil, or, did you remove the filter after using the Pela?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi,
I too have used the Pela on my Merc without a single problem.
In my case though, the car reconed the oil level was OK but I only removed 5 litres..
So I cautiously put 6.5L back in and the car still reconed it was OK.
I have since learned how to get the dashboard display to show the exact amount and lo and behold it was 6.4 litres..
I would still prefer a good old fashoined dipstick though.
Incidentally I stop my pela at about 4 litres to empty into a 20 Litre Jerry can.. The Pela is easier to empty when its not full to the brim.
Obviously I then carry on till it slurps.
As an extra I always suck the dregs from the oil filter housing as well.

I dont know why Mercedes have decided to make the simple job of changing engine oil into Rocket science..
Oil is oil and a Merc is only a car..
I have changed oil on every car and motorcylce i have ever owned and I am not about to stop now.
I suppose initially you need to have the confidence that the Pela has in fact removed all oil and not left a litre or two in the sump..
In my case it removed pretty much all the oil.
If you could really be bothered it would be interesting to put the car on a 4 wheel lift then use the Pela.. After it had drained all that it could do, you then drain via the sump plug to see if any meaningful amount extra came out..
Personally I cant be bothered, as life is definately too short !

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>you then drain via the sump plug to see if any meaningful amount extra came out..

I've done just that with a couple of cars when I first started to use a Pela...

not a drop!

My question above, of course, is based on the fact that when you undo an MB oil filter cap, the oil drains back into the sump. So, if you release the filter first, you're fine.

In my opinion, it's excellent design, the oil drains from the filter quite gracefully, and, if you use a vacuum pump to remove the oil, you can do the whole job in comfort from above without risk of being splashed by old oil.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
If only I could find somewhere to sell oil.

The story goes...I bought a 6.5L PELA vacumn. The oil level in my car was fine before I started.
On Saturday I took all the oil out (or so I thought) and this came to the max level on the vacumn.
I replaced the filter and added 6.5L exactly. On Monday there was 'Too much oil' so I looked up how to get a more accurate reading and it was 7.1L (when cold).
On Tuesday night while waiting for No.1 son, I read it again and it was 9.1L so I took 1L out on Wednesday.
Tonight there was 8.2L so I removed another 1L.

So the question is - where did all the oil come from. Maybe the pixies have been at their work again.

I've been changing oil in cars for years and this has me baffled - unless the sensor has gone faulty. How would I know?

And does oil turn that black after only 200 miles? And could this be put back in if I've removed too much?

Now I know why Mercedes are so expensive to get serviced - its the knowledge economy.

If the "max level" on the Pela is 6.5L and you put 6.5L back in, then you can't have gone wrong, or can you?

Yet to be reading levels like 9.1L when the engine is warm is far far too high. Mine doesn't read its maximum level until it's been stood overnight.

Oil in most diesel engines goes black instantly - picking up its colouring from oil that remains in the engine after draining.

OP
B

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always did my BM via the sump and intended to do the MB the same way except when I got underneath it and saw the sump shield it just looked too complicated and a lot of additional work, so I bought the PELA.

I started taking the oil out with the oil cap on and the filter still tight. After 2L or so was out I released and removed the filter. When no more oil was coming out I removed some excess from the filter housing using the PELA. As I said earlier, the PELA was nearly full at this point and I was convinced there was no more oil in it. The car had been stationary for 2 hours so warm but not hot.

It all seemed so straightforward but as it was my first time I have to assume that I didn't get it all out. I didn't know how to read the gauge until it told me to take some out and I googled it.

Because I put 6.5L of clean oil in and have since removed 2L of very black oil after 4 days and 200 miles, I must have left at least 1, maybe 2L in the sump.

As for reading hot or cold, surely it wouldn't make any more than 0.5L difference.
How long should the car be still for before reading the oil.
Would it make it more accurate if I removed the oil cap to release the pressure and allow the oil to drain into the sump.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It is very much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the oil can go black within a few hours, and you can put it back at a later date.

If the oil is too low,,try going round a rounder bout at 40 MPH several times while watching the pressure gauge,,if it falls away then the level is too low;):rolleyes:

Top Bottom