Tools: Socket set for Mercedes

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
I'm considering the purchase of a professional quality socket set for my Mercedes. What do the DIYers amongst the Mercedes fraternity use or recommend? Is a metric-only set suitable?

Are there any special tools worth having?

REGARDS Phil

Spike

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 SL500
Rather surprisingly, the Halfords Professional range offer surprisingly good value for money nowadays. Good tools, cheap price.

Depends how deep your pockets are really. The next step up in my mind would be Teng Tools and then with really really deep pockets, Facom or Snap-on.

And yes, Metric is all that is required - shouldnt really need any special tools unless you're undertaking something big in which case you can alwayse hire tools for the occasion.

MW

Reaction score
Halfords have won a number of awards. See autocar website (product reviews). If you can wait, look out for one of their sales promotions. Often big discounts on socket sets. Don't buy any set that is mixed with imperial and metric. You only use the metric side.

Terminator

Reaction score
Agree totally with Spike's recommendation regarding Halfords Professional and Teng. Snap on are expensive, of excellent quality and provide a delivery/no quibble replacement service to the trade. I have also found Halfords ordinary range to be of good quality (chrome vanadium steel) but make sure you invest in a torque wrench - essential for spark plugs and wheel nuts, usually sold separately to their tool kits (Budget about £50 for this).

OP
philharve

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Thanks Spike, MW

I suspected that a metric-only socket set was all I needed. That's one issue resolved.

Yes, I have seen Halfords socket sets and they are really very impressive, superb finish and not to expensive either. I wonder who really manufactures them? They look like Britoool. I was unaware that Halfords have discount sales promotions. I'll make sure I look out for them

Teng is also a quality make. I have a mini-Teng socket set which I mainly use on my bicycle. What about Kamasa? They seemed to disappear but their products are beginning to reappear. I have a ring-open ended spanner set made by Kamasa which I've had for many years. They are not metric. Pity

I also remember Elora and Gedora, the latter, I think being German. These were the choice of service technicians years ago. Another German is manufacturer is Stahlwille but I've never seen them for sale in local motor factors. Snap-On, I think, is America but I associate this manufacturer with high prices. Top quality though.

I have a Draper socket set which is a mix of metric and SAE. I've never owned any Facom tools and cannot recall seeing them in local shops.

Apart from long and short sockets, wrenches, T-bars, adapters, converters (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4) and knuckle joints, are there any special fastenings that are commonplace on Mercedes that ought to be part of a good tool set? For example, what about Torx and Allen?

Do Mecedes recommend and particular manufacturer?

REGARDS Phil

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom