Top Gear in Oslo

turnipsock

Reaction score
Did anybody see JCs drive to Oslo? It was a 1300 mile drive and he had to beat the other two guys going by public transport...beats me why he didn't put the car on the same ferry.

Anyways, the ferry was a 27 hour jouney, so to do 1300 miles in that time is about 50 mph...in a McLaren Mercedes!

It's oslo (did you see what I did there) strange that top gear need to send the other two guys when one would move just as fast. Mind you, to see hammond dancing with a whale at the disco was class. You would think that if you were whale sized, you would be taking a chance going to Norway.

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
How do they film that anyway? There are loads of outside shots of Jerremy being stuck in traffic and driving though tunnels. They would have to follow him in a helicopter to do this.

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
Saw a previous one they did going skiing somewhere like Italy and wondered the same thing about the shots - almost as if the whole thing was made up and staged just for the drama of it???

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
He said he flew home.

Didn't say who brought the car home............ The results are always fixed to make it seem exciting.
I must say by daughter found it hilarious, especially when the boys were susposingly sick on the boat.

BTW: The SLR looks a nice drive

squealinneil

Reaction score
The ferry was 17 hours.

Was I alone in hoping JC would fall asleep, crash and die?

classicsl

Reaction score
another thing i have noticed about clarkeson, and please forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but in every top gear at the end of the show, he says 'and on that bombshell......'
1. this is really annoyingly repetative, does he not realise we listen to what is being said and that saying the same stupid phrase every week wears thin
2. this statement never follows anything that could possibly be interpreted as a bombshell....'DB9 beats suzuki learna around our track'...bombshell material, i think not

rant over.

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
MrsC was mezmorised by the car and demanding one - right up to the end when she said "so why did he never put the roof down", so their is a God after all.

I enjoyed it, the best info was that at the top speed of 200+ mph the car has a range of 19 minutes from 21 gallons!! Thats about 3 miles to the gallon and costs around £4.50 per MINUTE to drive in fuel alone.

Want one! just have to hope for euro lottery on Friday.

Mark.

The Editor

Reaction score
turnipsock said:
How do they film that anyway? There are loads of outside shots of Jerremy being stuck in traffic and driving though tunnels. They would have to follow him in a helicopter to do this.

Yes !!... Is the simple answer !!... as you may have guessed from my ID I'm involved in TV/Film industry and had more than my fair share of involvement with the British Broadcasting Corporation !!

Any 'Report/Montage/Review' like the one you mention will have an entourage of 'crew' with them. The minimum would be:

1 Cameraman, 1 Sound Man, A Producer, A Director, An Assistant of some sort of & a technical backup person and that's talking the real bare bones minimum!!... All of these types of reports are staged. You can't get that shot of a car rounding a curve and whizzing past without first having to find the location and then setting up the camera and sound gear, then doing a 'dry run'... If the shot doesn't look right you may have to take it several times over from different angles/heights etc. All the time this is being done the 'stopwatch' will be stopped on any timings that may be going on to give the illusion of a 'race' taking place...... Sorry but there's reality and there's TV !!

I get the job of putting together the bits and pieces of a trip like that and try and make it look coherent and give it some sort of flow and reality !!... Sorry to burst anyone's bubble if they thought that Mr Clarkeson was just given a camcorder a battery a few blank tapes and was told to 'get on with it'... The truth is vastly different. You do get the occasional 'diary shots' that are recorded on high end domestic/semi pro gear but it's instantly obvious they are not up to the quality of broadcast equipment and broadcast equipement needs skilled operators to use it !!

Right - rant over !!!... back to the edit suite folks :mrgreen:

M.

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Ye M,

And most of the filming on TG is done to avery high standard, with a good budget.
So they prob even had a driver to do some/most of the driving for JC
To set up that boat one took a lot of time/money/people too

Lot of very professional work on last weeks feature also (SLK v Boxter)

Morzine

Reaction score
Hi,

Coming out of my local MB dealer (Frankfurt) last week after arranging for more rust work, what was just filling up with fuel, yes a Maclaren SLR. God knows how much he put in the thing or indeed how long it was going to last, still when he took off it didn't half go, made my E320 look rather small.

:-(

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Typical of Clarkson to catch a plane back instead of driving. If it were me you would probably have to have me surgically removed from the SLR. What a beast of a car it is !

He's probably glad to get back to his Ford.......if he ever gets it back from the dealers...

and on that bombshell....

Reaction score
well,

I thought is was an excellent article, - and the people who are complaining about how it was shot etc.. - I mean come on - it's meant to be entertaining TV, and a bit of escapism after all - are we really that concerned about how much camera work went into it - I mean to be truthful, if that sort of car was was given to any of us - and we were given a fuel card and told to drive to Oslo - who would say no?

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
That reminds me,

The other weeks Top Gear where JC was hurtling around a 'village' being shot at:

1. Am I over sensitive or was that a bit sick?
2. Didn't actually hit him very much did they?
3. After tanks (Range Rover), guns (Merc/Porke), when will they be going for the burning tree trunks in a Spartacus stylie? Or maybe a 'race the fallout' in which a battlefield nuclear weapon is detonated and JC has to get to a safe distance in a TVR (without breaking down).

And on that 'quite literally' bombshell...

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
all ahead full said:
well,

I thought is was an excellent article, - and the people who are complaining about how it was shot etc.. - I mean come on - it's meant to be entertaining TV, and a bit of escapism after all - are we really that concerned about how much camera work went into it - I mean to be truthful, if that sort of car was was given to any of us - and we were given a fuel card and told to drive to Oslo - who would say no?

Yeah, but No, but Yeah but...you can't help wonder how it was shot. I thought the one they did on buying a porsche for under £2000 and doing all sorts of stuff was a great article.

I can think of a few big fat whale girls that wouldn't risk going anywhere near Norway...in case there is a terrible mistake.

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
ah- your licence fee being spent wisely so clarkson can race around like the 4-year old he is in toys we can't afford. Lucky git. It was entertaining though.

Anyway, I presume the 'on that bombshell' bit is borrowed from 'Knowing me Knowing You' with Alan Partridge- since I think Coogan is a friend of Jezza's and a car nut too...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom