Top Gear - New time slot

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was watching.
When I see him next I'll give him grief for taking the wrong S Class, he would have done better in his 200TE!

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
When I see him next I'll give him grief for taking the wrong S Class, he would have done better in his 200TE!

I think price was the deciding factor. The 65 is 50k more. The top trumps was interesting. It's amazing what is extra at this level. I've just got the Spec through for the Ghost and the extras list is a pss take.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I think price was the deciding factor. The 65 is 50k more. The top trumps was interesting. It's amazing what is extra at this level. I've just got the Spec through for the Ghost and the extras list is a pss take.

quite correct. when these tests are carried out, its always against the nearest like for like they can get, for the closest price comparison.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OK I accept that folding will come into it, but if your testing the "best" BM should it not be against the equivalent Mercedes?
No issue with the Aston at ~£170 compared to the cheap Ferrari & Lambo in the same show.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
The sports cars can all be made the same price quite easily when you start raiding the toybox. I think in the case of the mega mercs is it not a law of diminishing returns? The 65 is regarded as the worst of the lot. The 320 and 500 are so capable. What I'd like to have seen is more focus on the post facelift differences. Having been out in a new one I wouldn't bother personally choosing a 2010 over an 09. Not enough difference.

Eta, I remember Theo Fajitas blowing up a 65 on fifth gear. Perhaps Merc were wary of a repeat.

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The sports cars can all be made the same price quite easily when you start raiding the toybox. I think in the case of the mega mercs is it not a law of diminishing returns? The 65 is regarded as the worst of the lot. The 320 and 500 are so capable. What I'd like to have seen is more focus on the post facelift differences. Having been out in a new one I wouldn't bother personally choosing a 2010 over an 09. Not enough difference.

Eta, I remember Theo Fajitas blowing up a 65 on fifth gear. Perhaps Merc were wary of a repeat.

Quite agree Stumpy. Down here at the humble end of the market, I think diminishing returns apply any time you go beyond the V8 500 in any model. Where in the real world do you regularly use the extra zoom? Sadly, you would soon encounter the extra depreciation, so maybe "pre-used" there is a better case to be made, but the ultra cars often same to change owners annually, or worse.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Quite agree Stumpy. Down here at the humble end of the market, I think diminishing returns apply any time you go beyond the V8 500 in any model. Where in the real world do you regularly use the extra zoom? Sadly, you would soon encounter the extra depreciation, so maybe "pre-used" there is a better case to be made, but the ultra cars often same to change owners annually, or worse.

True, ok it's not a Merc but I have been looking at a car recently with a list of 163k, but 6 months and 4000 miles later I can have it for 110k retail !!

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Humble end of market and the list of cars in your garage don't always fit together....:rolleyes:

The 65 becomes important when you're sat at the lights in your 63 and one pulls up beside you, or when it is parked outside the hotel in Paris / London etc.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Humble end of market and the list of cars in your garage don't always fit together....:rolleyes:

The 65 becomes important when you're sat at the lights in your 63 and one pulls up beside you, or when it is parked outside the hotel in Paris / London etc.

Very true Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
True, OK it's not a Merc but I have been looking at a car recently with a list of K, but 6 months and 4000 miles later I can have it for 190e retail !!

That then leaves you in another conundrum Stumpy.

Do you rejoice about the £53K you have just saved in the past 6 months, or despair about the £45K you are about to lose in the next 6 months with a car like that?

(even down here at the "humble" end, depreciation shows no sign of slowing down).

Top Bottom