Top Hat

turnipsock

Reaction score
Did anybody see the popular motoring program, Top Gear, on BBC2 on Sunday? James May was sporting a hat like the one a girlfriend brought me from Minisotta (before she got deported).

The hat is very effective even though you get laughed at, luckily you can't hear anything.

Seemingly, I am currently sporting the latest fashionable hat and I'm a trend setter.

First, Kicker Boots, now this!

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 28

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Poor girl, I hear Minnesota is a pretty horrible state. I have a lot of friends in America and Canada and Minnesota is really really cold in the winter as it's right near the border with Canada I think :confused:

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
Part of the reason she was coming here was to escape the winter, her house there isn't 'winterised', so no running water.

It is a really cold place, they hit -40C last winter!

996jimbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 estate
turnipsock said:
Seemingly, I am currently sporting the latest fashionable hat and I'm a trend setter.
I'm sure James May will be delighted to know that he too is at the cutting edge of fashion.

I'm equally sure the news will come as a slight surprise both to him and to Europe's larger fashion houses.

Being a fan of Fargo and Top Gear; where can a balding-though-not-yet-fourty follower of fashion purchase one of these trendy little numbers then? Walking the dogs in the morning is pretty chilly of late not helped by the zero density covering of my pate. Do they come in synthetic fur? I wouldn't want to put the hat on only to feel as if I'd just stuck my head in a rabbits bottom.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
turnipsock said:
Part of the reason she was coming here was to escape the winter, her house there isn't 'winterised', so no running water.

It is a really cold place, they hit -40C last winter!

I have 3 friends that live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The winter temperatures are often -44C, doesn't really seem to bother them that much. They have no option but to plug their cars in to start them in the winter as it's just sooo cold. I think it starts to snow around October and doesn't stop till about April. The only good thing is that unlike here, as they know it's going to be snowing for a good part of the year, they are always prepared for it and the whole place doesn't grind to a halt with the first few flakes like it does here.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
shirubaby said:
your girlfriend got deported?:-?

She did not even get as far as being imported.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
littlebrooklyn said:
I The only good thing is that unlike here, as they know it's going to be snowing for a good part of the year, they are always prepared for it and the whole place doesn't grind to a halt with the first few flakes like it does here.
I know just like Sweden evrything runs as normal.

Malcolm

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
turnipsock said:
Centigrade...though I think it's about the same in the old scale.

yep it is. the yanks still use F which is okay coz it feels warmer when you do, but some people ask when you say it is minus 40 in the US which one you meant....its the same in both.....its just amazing what you learn on the mercedes forums isnt it?

mind you, its cold is -40....

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
SLinKyjoe said:
yep it is. the yanks still use F which is okay coz it feels warmer when you do, but some people ask when you say it is minus 40 in the US which one you meant....its the same in both.....its just amazing what you learn on the mercedes forums isnt it?

mind you, its cold is -40....

I think we should campaign to bring back the old imperial system, it's one of the few things that the yanks do that I admire :shock:

I can't relate to all the celcius/centrigrade stuff, my brain still thinks in fahrenheit. I hate metres and litres and kilometers, they mean absolutely nothing to me.

What I find even more confusing is when you go out to buy something and you get one lot of information in metric and another in imperial and neither of them relate to each other, so you end up even more confused.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
littlebrooklyn said:
I think we should campaign to bring back the old imperial system, it's one of the few things that the yanks do that I admire :shock:

I can't relate to all the celcius/centrigrade stuff, my brain still thinks in fahrenheit. I hate metres and litres and kilometers, they mean absolutely nothing to me.

What I find even more confusing is when you go out to buy something and you get one lot of information in metric and another in imperial and neither of them relate to each other, so you end up even more confused.

Im not getting at you, but I have just cut a piece of wood 42" and 1/8th, or metric is 107cm,easier metric.
buying land years ago was a nightmare, chains, rods,roods.
odd thing back in the 50,60's Citreon used a tyre on the DS, 400(metric) x
17"
Sweden is metric,not wood, you buy it by the tum (thumb)=inch.
With chokolate and going metric,the size was rounded down, and the price rounded up. that's life

Malcolm

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i like the way everybody thinks degrees C is metric....it isn't. it is a measurement of temp based on water. it is so useful that even the guy who invented absolute zero used it for his scale. as in Kelvin!

farenheit uses some type of alcohol to judge temperature. but when you consider at 0 C the puddles freeze and you crsh you car, where as in the other it still 32 above!! madness.

and the only thing that prevents people from understanding metric is when they try to convert it to imperial...dont try...a litre is a litre and a pint a pint! so if you buy a litre that what you get...you can pour it into a jug with pints of for whatever you need a pint for..its really simple...till you convert it.....

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
littlebrooklyn said:

really?

in the UK a gallon is 4.546 litres.....or 84p a litre of unleaded.

in the US a gallon is 3.84 litres...but still would be 84p a litre here......but here you get more litres to your gallon.....and you think thiers is good? can you imagine what the petrol companies would think if we adopted that most ridiculous system they have...

and for all the oldies amongst us...the bad news is that in 1992 the last country in the world finaly went metric...the good ol' US of A. it will just take about 60years or so to change the country round.

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
how did we get from hats to the SI system?

The US have a had a couple of cock ups when they got mixed up with their units. The Hubble telescope for instance.

I think you are all missing the point of the SI system. The imperial system is just a collection of strange units and to get involved with any calculations involving these units is just a nightmare.

To convert m/s to km/h is pretty easy with the SI system but to convert miles/h to ft/s (or furlongs/min) requires many more steps.

The SI system is collection of related/derived units that all link together. Such as C/s becoming an A.

If you try working with magnetic flux without Webers and Henrys, you'll come unstuck very quickly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
turnipsock said:
If you try working with magnetic flux without Webers and Henrys, you'll come unstuck very quickly.[/QUOTE

Working with those is a world all on its own, whilst I use the above, I seldom have to calculate. Back in the 50's there were armature,coil and transformer guys in every town, they could design, rewind , Core with Turnipsock around I will have to keep my Eddy currents to myself

Malcolm

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom