Top leak on manifold 270 cdi

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Hi all ive just had my inlet manifold removed and blanked the swirl flaps off with a kit from Poland of ebay and installed new gaskets etc just about 3 weeks in and its developed a leak from the top front left near the thermostat...I'm wondering if my mechanic has put in the wrong length bolt in one of the holes on the inlet manifold does anyone know what length the bolts are and the pattern were they go on the inlet please??????? as I carnt get it back into him due to this corona at the minute and I dont want this leak to get worse I've tried tightening the ones that's in but I dont want to over tightening and snap one of so I was wondering if I took one out at a time and measured them one may be in wrong hole...someone said there is about 5 mm difference in length...

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Hi all ive just had my inlet manifold removed and blanked the swirl flaps off with a kit from Poland of ebay and installed new gaskets etc just about 3 weeks in and its developed a leak from the top front left near the thermostat...I'm wondering if my mechanic has put in the wrong length bolt in one of the holes on the inlet manifold does anyone know what length the bolts are and the pattern were they go on the inlet please??????? as I carnt get it back into him due to this corona at the minute and I dont want this leak to get worse I've tried tightening the ones that's in but I dont want to over tightening and snap one of so I was wondering if I took one out at a time and measured them one may be in wrong hole...someone said there is about 5 mm difference in length...
its a ml 270 cdi 2005 163

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
EPC show nine bolts A0029905022. I can't see 10th mentioned or is it shared with another attachment... perhaps WIS could tell

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Did mine a short time ago, don't think there was any difference in the bolt lengths and there are no gaskets, just rubber type inserts that seal the inlet ports that I reused with no problem, would be surprised It would be showing from the top and not the bottom , you sure this couldn't be coming from elsewhere, a pic or two might help

2020 jan pics 188.jpg
2020 jan pics 216.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Did mine a short time ago, don't think there was any difference in the bolt lengths and there are no gaskets, just rubber type inserts that seal the inlet ports that I reused with no problem, would be surprised It would be showing from the top and not the bottom , you sure this couldn't be coming from elsewhere, a pic or two might help

View attachment 57011
View attachment 57013
I had a look at it yesterday and yes all the bolts are the same length its blowing near the 1st glow plug I tired putting a couple of washers on the bolts to clamp it up a tad more but no joy looks like it's going to have to come back off maybe the manifold itself was warped...does anyone have a link for getting the bolts for it if possible or know the correct pat number for them ?

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Could it be blowing up from oil cooler I'm wondering aswell I had it running with arch liner out and had my hand round it but couldnt see anything coming from there..

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Is it leaking boost or only oil?

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Is it oil or coolant? Oil could leak under boost if O ring damaged or manifold corroded around O ring.
Good morning its boost and oil blow im going to have to buy another manifold and do it myself..existing one must have had a fault my mechanic didnt notice
its a very slight blow but enough for a leak of oil to start again I gave him all new rubber seals etc and the swirl flap bolt delte kit...does anyone know where the glow plug relay module is located aswell I'm struggling for its location..

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Its leaking just to right of number one glow plug..its not pushing loads out but bubbles when water sprayed on it

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
Put a couple of pics of manifold up when you take it off , be interesting to see what the delete and sealing rubbers look like,
you might have noticed that my on my previous two pic attachments, the manifold in the 1st had been previously deleted by a 'mechanic' using nuts bolts and washers(no tapping and sealing)on my spare ml, the second pic was after I had removed it all ,tapped it and fitted shorter bolts , with nothing obstructing airflow

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I was told, when I removed my inlet manifold, that following the correct tightening sequence when refitting was important to stop warping, and hence leaks.
Personally I do not believe this, because the seal is made by the O-rings at each port, not by a normal metal gasket. If it really is the recently refitted manifold that's leaking, then the first culprit will be a faulty O-ring seal. The next likely source of leakage has to be the newly 'sealed' flaps.
Can you think of a more likely candidate?

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I was told, when I removed my inlet manifold, that following the correct tightening sequence when refitting was important to stop warping, and hence leaks.
Personally I do not believe this, because the seal is made by the O-rings at each port, not by a normal metal gasket. If it really is the recently refitted manifold that's leaking, then the first culprit will be a faulty O-ring seal. The next likely source of leakage has to be the newly 'sealed' flaps.
Can you think of a more likely candidate?
agree most likely o ring, but as the the sealed flaps are sealed from the bottom of the manifold and the leak is at the top have my doubts its the delete part that's leaking

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
Just got back in after changing the glow plugs..now just need to find out where the realy is for it now to check that.. I've also noticed a very small diesel leak from the rear of the fuel rail somewhere I think it's running from rear injector leak off pipe-tube that runs down to the rail..which I think is making the manifold leak look worse.. Has anyone else had this diesel leak ?? the pipe looks wet but I carnt get it of the end of the fuel rail or injector to check it it's on there very tightly and I dont want to break it

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
My mechanic did put all new rubber seals in the existing manifold.. I'm going to take it of sometime soon check it all and see what's going on I'm just going to have to make sure I've got another manifold there before I remove it all and some new seals...do i have to remove the thermostat as that was new aswell..

OP
M

Mart000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 270 cdi 163
EPC show nine bolts A0029905022. I can't see 10th mentioned or is it shared with another attachment... perhaps WIS could tell
Thankyou I think the tenth one is shorter and goes near the end of fuel rail after a bit of googling

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I didn't remove the thermostat but did disconnect all pipes in that area, also remove egr pipe/manifold but not the last section that's banana shape and attaches to the head, was a very tight giggle to get it out and in again , but doable

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom