Tow bar needed ... but confused

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Thanks for that, the car has 19" AMG wheels fitted and on the options list it has not in conjunction with tow bar 550. But the 550 is an option on the sport, so it looks like just these wheels. Will have to get onto the dealer again in the morning.

19" wheels - put a picture on the forum please - me wanna see!

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Hello, I'm new to MB and have ordered en E Class sport estate and have noticed the wheels fitted are not recommended for fitting with a tow bar. I asked the dealer and was told it would be fine to fit one aftermarket, after categorically stating I need the car to tow a trailer. After a www search I find this thread which has made me more than a little concerned to read that you can't fit a tow bar to the sport models. Is this the definitive MB position? If so I fear a tirade coming on tomorrow.
You can't legally fit a towbar to a car not type approved for one. The Sport along with AMG versions isn't.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I agree .

However , if as Spud says , it is a factory option on the Sport then it would have to be type approved , and there would need to be some other reason .

Hopefully , Spud will post back and enlighten us what the dealer says .

Spud

Reaction score
Will try and post a picture when it arrives in a week or so (if I get to the bottom of the tow bar issue). It is true that all E Class estates have the tow bar as an option. The confusion is with the particular wheels. I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow.

Spud

Reaction score
Done several searches this PM too, and Witter and Brink both do 3 different options for tow bar on the E Class estate. Fingers crossed.

Spud

Reaction score
MB's technical said no problem and aftermarket instructions are available to MB to do this.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I have just bought an A Class (2006) A150. i would like to fit a detachable tow bar (for small trailer.

Who could do this for me and how much. Hornchurch Essex area.

richard.cossey@btinternet.com

If you try Witter, Brink, Westfalia web sites they should recommend fitment centres in your area. My detachable bar (Westfalia) was £500 fitted).

Spud

Reaction score
I shall be looking at a Witter as it is the only one that doesn't need some sort of bumper cut. But does need the bumper off! Not sure which is worse from a non-MB workshop.

andy-integrale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 E250 Sport Estate / Leather / Command / Panoramic Roof
Hi all

Did anyone crack the S212 Sport tow bar conundrum?

Just about to embark on what would appear to be a minefield....

Might be even more complex as my car is an Ed125 with the twin exhausts:confused:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
There are tow bars for the E500 CDI Sport cab

I've just had a towbar fitted to a brand new E350CDI Sport Cabriolet with no problems.
Towbar made by PCT at Sheffield and meets all required standards.They make a special for the Sport to get round (literally) the AMG body kit (same price as the non sport bar).
Merc put a braked towing weight in the handbook so I don't see how they can say it can't tow.
It is the petrol E500 AMG that can't have one fitted although a lot of people in the trade get confused and think its all E classes with the AMG body kit that are affected.

Edit, just noticed I put E500 in title when should have been E350, Sorry Mr Gumby!

Last edited:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
It is the petrol E500 AMG that can't have one fitted although a lot of people in the trade get confused and think its all E classes with the AMG body kit that are affected.

From what I established the E63AMG doesn't have type approval for a towbar which is why it isn't an accessory and isn't offered by the aftermarket, however, that's more to do with the fact that type approval costs and I guess MB weren't expecting many AMG owners to want towbars, so didn't get the type approval done.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
You can't legally fit a towbar to a car not type approved for one. The Sport along with AMG versions isn't.

I'm getting confused here and I am sure I am not alone. I have a new E350 Sport CDI cabriolet which a major tow bar manufacturer produces a bar for and a major fitting company not only fits but guarantees against any claim. It meets all international requirements as to type approval. Mercedes state a braked towing weight for the model in the handbook and there is not caution against towing in the literature supplied with the car.

Do you know something they don't?

Last edited:

andy-integrale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it is just the actual AMG variants that are not type approved not cars simply fitted with an AMG body kit.

andy-integrale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a S211 the Sport rear end was fine, but it was different from the AMG.

Are they the same on S212?

Westfalia is good kit.

The Ed125 E250 sport has a different body kit to the non Ed125 Sport S212's well at least the rear valance is different as it has twin exhaust outlets.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I'm getting confused here and I am sure I am not alone. I have a new E250 Sport CDI cabriolet which a major tow bar manufacturer produces a bar for and a major fitting company not only fits but guarantees against any claim. It meets all international requirements as to type approval. Mercedes state a braked towing weight for the model in the handbook and there is not caution against towing in the literature supplied with the car.

Do you know something they don't?

That was an old comment by DM, check what current info is avaialble - things change.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
It's worth telling your insurance as well, just in case.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom