traffic sign assist

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I disagree the speed limit showing on dash is gps based it should show signs for no overtaking and no entry as it states in handbook
I looked at the handbook and yes it does state that additional signs should be displayed...but neither your car nor mine does this, only displaying speed limits.
I am wondering about something here...you say your car is a 2020 model which is the same as mine, and at that time Premium trim and above had a feature called Augmented Reality For Navigation where it superimposes live images from the camera onto the navigation screen. When my car was built in March 2020 Mercedes informed me that my car would not have this feature, so I am wondering if this is connected with any additional traffic signs not being diplayed because both systems use the forward facing camera.

I have a brochure for the CLA in 2020 and it states that Augmented Reality For Navigation is a feature on Premium/Premium Plus and Traffic Sign Assist is only on Premium Plus.
Compare this with the latest CLA brochure and Augmented Reality For Navigation is not mentioned anywhere in the range (curiously though it is available on A Class), and Traffic Sign Assist is standard on all 3 trim specs.

Thinking about it now it would seem that my car is using the navigation system to display all speed limit signs and they are not coming from the forward facing camera. In fact due to the missing Augmented Reality For Navigation I question whether my car actually has a fully functioning forward facing camera at all.
I am happy with the way it is though.

Last edited:

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
My 2021 A250 has augmented reality. It only shows speed limit traffic signs.

The limits are sometimes read by the camera and at other times from the GPS. In my area a few roads have had their limits lowered but the display shows the old limit on those roads even though the new signs are clearly visible.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my area a few roads have had their limits lowered but the display shows the old limit on those roads even though the new signs are clearly visible.
Interesting...this would suggest that your camera is not reading the signs at all and all displayed limits are being duplicated on your instrument display coming from the GPS.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Interesting...this would suggest that your camera is not reading the signs at all and all displayed limits are being duplicated on your instrument display coming from the GPS.
Just like I explained in post number 15?

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just like I explained in post number 15?
Yes but the only problem with that is that you said you have seen a no overtaking symbol, which is highly unliley to be GPS and much more likely to be camera based because it is temporary. I realise you said no signs were present...but I cannot understand this.
I am leaning towards everything being GPS based on my car.

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate 2020 220d Prem Plus
No overtaking can be built into the nav system,not sure about MB but on a Range Rover it is definitely built in.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes but the only problem with that is that you said you have seen a no overtaking symbol, which is highly unliley to be GPS and much more likely to be camera based because it is temporary. I realise you said no signs were present...but I cannot understand this.
I am leaning towards everything being GPS based on my car.
Definitely not camera based, it is outside my house and there has never been a no overtaking sign on that road in my lifetime.

Nicklas_Hidegard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V220 Vclass
Speed limits is displayed from the camera in my v-class. I've gone through some very temporary roadworks and the 40 limit is displayed as I'm passing the signs. But it only does speed limits, no other signs.
The no overtaking signs display as well but not from camera. They seem to be GPS based. There has also been the odd occasion where it gets the speed limit wrong (60 instead of 30) which I put down to the camera reading it wrong. It doesn't happen at the same sign every time and is very rare. For reference I've got a 2019 model.
The speed limit signs shows up on the display between rev counter and speedo. Don't often use sat nav but will have a look next time what happens there.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
My 2021 A250 has augmented reality. It only shows speed limit traffic signs.

The limits are sometimes read by the camera and at other times from the GPS. In my area a few roads have had their limits lowered but the display shows the old limit on those roads even though the new signs are clearly visible.
Maybe its not an option in the Canadian market?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Definitely not camera based, it is outside my house and there has never been a no overtaking sign on that road in my lifetime.
Definitely is camera based in my W205 as the display changes exactly when I pass the sign post. Also it reads and displays remporary limit signs and no overtaking signs too. Ive just retrofitted SLA to my SLC so will check it out on that car too.

No way that part is GPS based.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Definitely is camera based in my W205 as the display changes exactly when I pass the sign post. Also it reads and displays remporary limit signs and no overtaking signs too. Ive just retrofitted SLA to my SLC so will check it out on that car too.

The system in the 176 A Class is definitely camera-based as we had to carry it across to the Infiniti Q30. This was in 2016-7. I would be utterly astonished if MB have more than one TSR technology on the road.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mine is a W205 as well, how does it show no overtaking signs when there is no physical sign for the camera to pick up?

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Because the system uses the stored information in combination with the cameras,.
The cameras take priority, so a temporary speed limit overrides the stored speed. If you come across a new or temporary no overtaking sign then that would be shown.

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
perhaps you do not have the system in Canada?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mine is a W205 as well, how does it show no overtaking signs when there is no physical sign for the camera to pick up?
It reads the physical sign and displays it!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It reads the physical sign and displays it!
Did you read my reply? There is no overtaking sign and never has been, how can a camera read what does not exist?

jimbg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pardon! Time to read the highway code again.

dmeu_y4890382_05_std.lang.all.gif

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a lot of confusion in this thread. :D
rf065 is not saying that a no overtaking sign does not exist...just that there is not one on the road outside his house. :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Why spoil a perfectly good argument with fact & data, Craig?

Because it’s fun, other Craig. Because it’s fun. 690628AE-50BC-47DC-8043-2B01BE29A78D.png E20094F8-57EA-4F51-8260-4B82E332CDBD.png

Top Bottom