Transmission Dipstick Location in Sump Question

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Hi all, just wondering if anyone who is very familiar with the MB 722.6 Transmission can indicate where exactly the dipstick enter's the sump in the pic provided?
Thanks And Best Regards.

Attachments

• MB Transmissiom Sump Housing 2019-06-16 (1).jpg
    MB Transmissiom Sump Housing 2019-06-16 (1).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty sure it's here:
View attachment 50789
Thank's Lost Kiwi,
the reason for the question in the 1st place is to try to confirm that there is a "STOP" to how far the dipstick can enter into the sump when checking the oil level. ( See pic) if the "Black Diamond " shown, prevents the measuring tip from going beyond a certain point, that solves the problem, regardless of how long the overall length is. And no matter how flexible the dipstick is, it wont matter once the position of the measuring tip remains constant. Is it the "YELLOW" cap that you have circled? Or is it that this "STOP" is within the actual tube itself?? Given the importance of having the correct oil level at all times, I feel that this is important. Mercedes could have solved this problem, by having their own dipstick, with a "Stop" at the point where it's inserted into the tube, but of course, in their wisdom, they did not think that it would ever be needed. So even in 2019 MB Automatics, the Dipstick is still considered a "Service Item" ? Or, most likely the level is checked electronically?
Anyhow, Thanks again Lost Kiwi.

Attachments

• MB Dipstick  Black Diamond Stop and with tape measure.jpg
    MB Dipstick Black Diamond Stop and with tape measure.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Are you still losing sleep over all things oil level buddy ?:D

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
So I bought a dipstick from ebay, with a diamond stop mark. It is of a standard length so it can be used in any 722.6 tranny, whatever car it's in.

When I put it into my W204 tranny it hit the black diamond stop while still having a good six inches of disptick not in the tube.

I can't definitively say wether it is accurate, however I measured my levels after an ATF change from ACMS who I trust, and I knew the transmission was at 82 degrees as I had a infrared temp sensor. The reading showed just below the MAX HOT mark which would be accurate if we assume ACMS put the correct amount of fluid back in after the change.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So I bought a dipstick from ebay, with a diamond stop mark. It is of a standard length so it can be used in any 722.6 tranny, whatever car it's in.

When I put it into my W204 tranny it hit the black diamond stop while still having a good six inches of disptick not in the tube.

I can't definitively say wether it is accurate, however I measured my levels after an ATF change from ACMS who I trust, and I knew the transmission was at 82 degrees as I had a infrared temp sensor. The reading showed just below the MAX HOT mark which would be accurate if we assume ACMS put the correct amount of fluid back in after the change.
That's correct as they don't go all the way in - there's quite a but left sticking out

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you still losing sleep over all things oil level buddy ?:D
Yes Wighty..:( can't help it, been niggling at me ever since. Given the importance of having the oil at the correct level in the MB transmission. It all hinges on how accurate the dipstick is, so a "STOP" on the dipstick eliminates the guesswork. And if this is the case, it will not matter how much of the stick is hanging out from the tube. However, if the only stop is when the dipstick hits the bottom of the sump, that would be problematic due to the flexibility of the dipstick.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yes Yugguy, immaterial how much of the dipstick is hanging out from the tube...could be reaching all the way to the front bumper !!!:D:D:D It's the 3" of black plastic tip that count's. So if your dipstick show's 2 1/2 " of oil @ 80c, it's fine !!!:geek:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes Wighty..:( can't help it, been niggling at me ever since. Given the importance of having the oil at the correct level in the MB transmission. It all hinges on how accurate the dipstick is, so a "STOP" on the dipstick eliminates the guesswork. And if this is the case, it will not matter how much of the stick is hanging out from the tube. However, if the only stop is when the dipstick hits the bottom of the sump, that would be problematic due to the flexibility of the dipstick.
I'm sure with all your checking (and your MB dipstick you bourght ?) , yours is bang on the money :D

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Did my oil change measured with a ebay dip stick, took the car for a 50 KM run measured it again topped up a little, that was over three years ago, and changes imperceptibly. Don't worry be happy!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The "stop" is the bottom of the sump. It is possible to push the thing down too hard, flex the black plastic bit and obtain a false reading. It takes a bit of practice and a feel for what you are doing. When you reach the bottom it is quite an indistinct feedback on the stick, but if you stop there and then just lift a quarter inch and tap it down again gently, repeating two or three times you can feel a nice solid tap that you have reached the bottom.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm sure with all your checking (and your MB dipstick you bourght ?) , yours is bang on the money :D
Up to this point and after these recent post's, Yes, I am pretty confident everything is Ok, and there IS a stop, and I am reassured about it :):):):),......and then I read Uncle Benz's post......and now I am again :confused::confused::confused:

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The "stop" is the bottom of the sump. It is possible to push the thing down too hard, flex the black plastic bit and obtain a false reading. It takes a bit of practice and a feel for what you are doing. When you reach the bottom it is quite an indistinct feedback on the stick, but if you stop there and then just lift a quarter inch and tap it down again gently, repeating two or three times you can feel a nice solid tap that you have reached the bottom.
Yes Uncle Benz,,,,but if it's like that, then it will be very difficult to get an accurate reading of the correct level. In the best case, you would dip it as you suggest, and after locating the correct position,then mark the flexible part at the top of the tube. ( I used a locking grommet on mine in the early days, so each dip would be the same ) remove the dipstick, clean it and do another dip. But now, I think that I will unscrew the plastic tip, and insert the chrome part into the transmission until it bottoms out, and then dip it again with the tip back in place ( or vice-versa ) and compare results. Of course one pic would be worth a thousand word's ( even more in fact in this case !!!:rolleyes: ) showing a transmission with the sump removed, and the dipstick in place....have to see if I can find one in a local workshop.:D:D:D

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
You don't have to fill to exactly the markers. The fluid volume changes massively with temperature anyway so there is leeway either way. Drive the car til it's hot, stick it in P, is the level somewhere around the hot marks? That's all you need.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom