Trolley jack leaked, now dry ... trust it?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My Master-Mechcanic, 30 year old 2 Ton trolley jack, leaked a little from the big piston, that lifts the arm.
A Small 3” stain on the floor. it didn't drop at all, and worked perfectly.

I extended the arm , and cleaned it up with Jack oil.
Now it is bone dry , doesn't leak at all.
Left wife’s A Class jacked up for 6 hours, with the wheel on - just in case!
It didn’t drop at all. Up and down ... all seems perfect.
It seems to be perfect, but would you trust it, as it is 30 years old ???

Note. Of course I would always use axle stands if going under it. Or back it up with the new 2.5Tin jack for anything else.

I am puzzled by the fault, could a bit of dirt have compromised the “wiper seal” and thus caused a little leak from the reservoir? , and by cleaning the ram piston off, and raising and lowering it , the dirt was moved off the seal?

No problem buying a new one if safety is involved, but if my assumption is a real possibility, seems a shame to bin it.
Only thing done to the hack was emptied the old oil and put in fresh last year.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you use the jack in the proper way (lift vehicle, put stand underneath, lower vehicle into stand and leave jack as an emergency backup) then it will probably be ok. I'd certainly be wary of it and check for oil leaks regularly though.

Reactions: M80

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
You have left your wife’s car on it and it has gone nowhere I would suspect that it is okay, and as you would usually use axle stands and take sensible precautions, why not.
Now you have a small doubt about it you will take that extra bit of attention whilst using it.

But if still in doubt, get a new one, though that could have an unknown fault.

Why thank you, you’re welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Sounds like a trusty old friend . Give it another chance , I vote for a reprieve :D

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
It is basic hydraulics. If any leak is fixed and air bled out it should be fine.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I never trust any Jack if I plan to venture under the car, or even just leaving a wheel off for longer than a few minutes......

But I will say I would feel safer with an older Jack as there is some real rubbish made now!

NB. Oh, and if you were closer and decided to "bin it" - you could "bin it" my way anyday!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

But I will say I would feel safer with an older Jack as there is some real rubbish made now!

A mate used to have a 3 tonne Clarke trolly jack .... the release was on a hair trigger. Not good.
My Arcan 1.8 tonne jack from Costco however has been worth every penny .... well made & goes low enough to even lift my Smart Roadster :)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The problem with hydraulics is that when they decide to give trouble it's often instant and without warning.

I have a picture in mind of a digger arm that suddenly dropped like a stone while I was driving it, and an old banger in my student days that decided to freewheel across a set of red lights as I applied the brakes. That was a different version of 'pedal to the metal'.
No harm was done, but working on a car I would never use a hydraulic jack on its own.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A mate used to have a 3 tonne Clarke trolly jack .... the release was on a hair trigger. Not good.
My Arcan 1.8 tonne jack from Costco however has been worth every penny .... well made & goes low enough to even lift my Smart Roadster :)

Those Arcan Jacks started being made over 12 years ago - what I consider "an older jack" and although Aluminium, very well made.

Wouldn't mind one myself but alas I can't buy from Costco.... :(

FbsrKWZ.jpg

I'm referring in the last few years.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Those Arcan Jacks started being made over 12 years ago - what I consider "an older jack" and although Aluminium, very well made.

FbsrKWZ.jpg

I’ll let you know when I’m next down and we could take a run over to Costco S’oton :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

FbsrKWZ.jpg

... and for an ally jack, it's quite heavy! :D

I don't think they make that particular jack anymore but the replacement isn't that much different.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
... and for an ally jack, it's quite heavy! :D

I don't think they make that particular jack anymore but the replacement isn't that much different.

Yes, they are more like made from an Aluminium Alloy like Alloys on your car. And speaking of Alloys I remember when they wee made from a Magnesium Alloy, (hence the term "Mags") and had a horrible habit of shattering!!!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If you use the jack in the proper way (lift vehicle, put stand underneath, lower vehicle into stand and leave jack as an emergency backup) then it will probably be ok. I'd certainly be wary of it and check for oil leaks regularly though.
Thanks my plan in one,
Interestingly tried again today and its behaving perfectly?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom