Tuning.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

"The benefit of a sprint booster is that you do not have to push the accelerator pedal as far to achieve the acceleration you desire. You are saving some foot effort. There is no difference between installing a sprint booster to changing your driving style to operate the throttle in a more jerky fashion, for example flooring it violently when taking off.

The only improvement in throttle response is the time it takes to push the accelerator pedal further. This is not reaction time of the driver. It is not the time it takes to decide to floor it. It’s the extra time required to move the pedal a bit more, given you are already moving it. I estimate for example it may take an extra 1/10 of a second or 100ms for the throttle to travel from 50% to 100% if you are already moving the throttle from 0% to 50%. So in a typical scenario where you want to accelerate hard, you’ll be better off by something in the order of 1/10 of a second with the sprint booster installed. Unless you accidentally break traction due to the reduced throttle precision, in which case you’ll be faster without the sprint booster. So if possibly saving 1/10 of a second is important to you, or saving the effort of moving your foot is important for you, then a sprint booster may be a good idea.

Installing a sprint booster means the available travel in the accelerator pedal is not fully utilised. There is a large dead zone where the voltage sent to the engine management is 100%. This means you’ve lost precision in throttle control. You’ve lost resolution. Your ability to make small adjustments to throttle has been degraded. You can’t feather the throttle.

Using more throttle and having a more jerky driving style will cost you more fuel, wear out your car more and increase your chances of having an accident. It also encourages poor driving habits – for example accelerating hard then braking hard in stop / start traffic rather than just driving at a steady speed.

sprint-booster-output-voltage1.png

OP
D

DAVID DUNKLEY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Welcome , it's like a comedy sketch on here at times , not the best impression for a newbie .

It's just a harmless play , you'll get used to it and maybe even join in , lol .

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
"The benefit of a sprint booster is that you do not have to push the accelerator pedal as far to achieve the acceleration you desire. You are saving some foot effort. There is no difference between installing a sprint booster to changing your driving style to operate the throttle in a more jerky fashion, for example flooring it violently when taking off.

The only improvement in throttle response is the time it takes to push the accelerator pedal further. This is not reaction time of the driver. It is not the time it takes to decide to floor it. It’s the extra time required to move the pedal a bit more, given you are already moving it. I estimate for example it may take an extra 1/10 of a second or 100ms for the throttle to travel from 50% to 100% if you are already moving the throttle from 0% to 50%. So in a typical scenario where you want to accelerate hard, you’ll be better off by something in the order of 1/10 of a second with the sprint booster installed. Unless you accidentally break traction due to the reduced throttle precision, in which case you’ll be faster without the sprint booster. So if possibly saving 1/10 of a second is important to you, or saving the effort of moving your foot is important for you, then a sprint booster may be a good idea.

Installing a sprint booster means the available travel in the accelerator pedal is not fully utilised. There is a large dead zone where the voltage sent to the engine management is 100%. This means you’ve lost precision in throttle control. You’ve lost resolution. Your ability to make small adjustments to throttle has been degraded. You can’t feather the throttle.

Using more throttle and having a more jerky driving style will cost you more fuel, wear out your car more and increase your chances of having an accident. It also encourages poor driving habits – for example accelerating hard then braking hard in stop / start traffic rather than just driving at a steady speed.

sprint-booster-output-voltage1.png

You obviously don't have one or understand how they work and the hundreds of positive You Tube reviews .

The modes , the features and how some pedal boxes differ from others .

I'll blow everything you say out of the water , let's tackle it one by one .

I've been doing the odd thing here and there to cars since a Mk1 1.8 GTI , and I'll tell anyone straight equally if something works or not and why .

At the moment I've bought something which says it physically fits but it's not working out that way , as I'm discovering it's a Chinese copy of a Taiwanese product ment for the American lefthand drive market that doesn't have diesels !

Sprint Booster - the dangerous half second pulling out delay has gone , for this alone it's a no brainer and the first part of dead pedal actually now does something .
There's improved accuracy and modualation there as a 1:1 relationship just like drive by cable . Instead of a slow opening throttle plate playing catch up to a greater input as people over compensate .

Doesn't improve on peak torque or BHP , but it does give you the torque earlier !

And there's more .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You obviously don't have one or understand how they work and the hundreds of positive You Tube reviews .

I've been doing the odd thing here and there to cars since a Mk1 1.8 GTI , and I'll tell anyone straight equally if something works or not and why .

At the moment I've bought something which says it physically fits but it's not working out that way , as I'm discovering it's a Chinese copy of a Taiwanese product ment for the American lefthand drive market that doesn't have diesels !

Sprint Booster - the dangerous half second pulling out delay has gone , for this alone it's a no brainer and the first part of dead pedal actually now does something .
There's improved accuracy and modualation there as a 1:1 relationship just like drive by cable . Instead of a slow opening throttle plate playing catch up to a greater input as people over compensate .

Doesn't improve on peak torque or BHP , but it does give you the torque earlier !

And there's more .
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

And there's more .
It doesn't give you the torque earlier as it does absolutely nothing to the engine map.
All it does is make the pedal more responsive. In the old days you'd get the same result by shortening the length of the arm where the accelerator cable attached to the throttle spindle.

It's basically a placebo device that makes you think you have more power when in actual fact you don't. In the process it makes it harder to modulate the accelerator due to increasing the sensitivity of the first part of the travel.

Just learn to press the pedal harder. It's cheaper.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I thought you would come along Alistair .
Daft as a brush some of you with some old thinking , most of which is just classic forum bandwagon .

Torque is available in a shorter space of time because the throttle plate opens quicker .

You can't replicate this by stamping on the accelerator .

Reminds me of a decade old argument between two oils and to which one provided the most protection , their conclusion was the thicker grade , now this is true if both oils were the same quality , however the thinner had a much superior blend of basestock groups and additive package . Too which my findings are now copied and given as sound advice .

But again some with older thinking won't get it , a bit like our friend who likes semi synthetic , it does not matter whatever evidence is presented...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can't replicate this by stamping on the accelerator .
Of course you can. The difference in time to get to the same throttle position is milliseconds at most (and probably microseconds).

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
No sorry Alister you've got it wrong , you wouldn't admit it even if you were wrong , you're not the type..

There's a built in delay , it's horrible and dangerous , quite a few poorly sighted ( parked cars , walls , hedges ) junctions I have to pull out of .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No sorry Alister you've got it wrong , you wouldn't admit it even if you were wrong , you're not the type..

There's a built in delay , it's horrible and dangerous , quite a few poorly sighted ( parked cars , walls , hedges ) junctions I have to pull out of .

The throttle body opens the throttle plate on command from the ECU which is asked to do so by the throttle pedal. You'll note I said asked. Thus is because the ECU can override the request for the throttle plate to be opened (and does so when ESP is triggered). Since the throttle pedal only asks the ECU to open the throttle plate insertion of a device to fool the ECU into believing the throttle pedal is pressed further cannot do anything that simply pressing the pedal further does anyway.
It undoubtedly changes how the car feels but has zero effect on power, performance or when torque is available.
It simply can't as it has no direct control over what the ECU decides to tell the engine (via the throttle body) to do. Likewise it can't magically make a dead spot disappear.
It's not about old thinking or any such BS - it's simple logic and an understanding of how these systems function.

All these systems can do is sharpen response to pedal input at the expense of driveability. Like I said, it's cheaper to learn to press the pedal harder. Full throttle is still full throttle no matter how you get there, just as 50% throttle is still 50% throttle irrespective of how far down the pedal is pressed to get it.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Simply no , no loss of drivability it's increased drivability .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Simply no , no loss of drivability it's increased drivability .

Ok take it extremes.
Let's say a standard pedal goes from 0 to 100% throttle in 40mm of travel.
Now we fit a throttle pedal that goes from 0 to 100% in 10mm (with the remaining 30mm of travel doing nothing).
You now have to modulate your foot far more to prevent excessive throttle being applied for any given circumstance.
Logical isn't it.
It must be more difficult to modulate the 10mm than the 40mm.
I accept they aren't that extreme but the principle still holds true. Driveability is decreased due to increased difficulty in modulating an overly sensitive throttle.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
So how do you explain the hundreds of positive reviews of pedal boxes ?

It is not sensitive it is accurate !

You can drive it so smoothly in any situation.

Like I said torque is available quicker and this has a result..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So how do you explain the hundreds of positive reviews of pedal boxes ?

It is not sensitive it is accurate !

You can drive it so smoothly in any situation.

Like I said torque is available quicker and this has a result..

Placebo is a powerful effect...
The video is hardly an accurate test.
As anyone who has been to a drag strip knows, with no changes at all you can get different results on each run.
You're also assuming the tester is driving the same manner each time and has no vested interests.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Loving your denial .

Every junction half second delay a sharp stab has no effect , pedal box and it's gone .

You can't continue in life Alistair with bigoted views .

I'm no mug for placebo , I'm very much in touch with myself , first ever I had a car on a dyno and I guessed 1.5 BHP short...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you're happy with yours I'm very happy for you, but I'm still claiming snake oil until I see a technical definition of how a device that sits inline to the throttle pedal can change the way the ECU commands the throttle body to open. There is a distinct lack of any technical documentation on the Sprint Booster website.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
They are vague yes I agree but they've got enough people copying them now .

Far from snake oil , it was designed to do something , to solve a problem and they succeeded .

I welcome you Alistair despite our differences or any doubters to drive my car , set back to OE or even remove the device , I guarantee people will love it .

Some more happy people .

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom