Turbo or engine problem. Classic 220CDI 2002?

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2002 Classic 220 CDI. It has 91,000 miles done and until last week all was good.

Last week I noticed a hiss when I accelerated fast. All OK when driven slowly. A friend told me that I had a turbo leak.

Today we removed the air box and all the rubber pipes connected to the turbo. One had a loose clip, possible source of hiss.

However when we looked in the rubber tubes they contained a lot of oil. Also when the hose connecting to the inlet manifold was removed there was a lot of carbon build up in the inlet and lots of oil.

I presume that the oil has come from either the turbo or the engine. If the engine I presume I have a problem with piston rings.

It looks like I have 2 problems a leak and an oil problem.

Anyone had any experience of a problem like this with a relatively young Merc?

I am a bit worried about damage to the turbo.

My gut feeling is to sell the car and stay away from Mercedes.

Since i got the car the oil and filters have been changed regularly and it has been serviced properly.

\Any advice appreciated.

Mike

John Kerr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 220CDI Sport
I have a 2001 the same as yours. I don't think you have a problem with oil mine is the same even after changing the oil trap.My problem is it keeps going into limp mode and nothing shows up on diagnostics,I have changed all the sensors and even the precat, checked the intercooler and hoses for splits all ok.My next move is trade in for a BMW never had a problem with the two I have had in the passed.The C Class is a very nice looking car but the early ones in my opinion were badly put together,parts are overpriced and not worth the hassle.

OP
S

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
John

Thank you for responding. My last car was a BMW I had it for 2 years. Over this period £1800 was spend on it.

Airbag sensor, seat belt sensors, mass flow sensor, bushes etc. If anything the Merc seem to be more reliable.

I might get a Lexus disel when the price drops but I'd be careful with another BM.

M

psmart

Reaction score
Hi SilverSurfer,

There is nothing wrong with what you describe. The crankcase generates pressure and oil vapour which is fed back into the air inlet (small pipe coming from top of engine into the main air-filter to turbo pipe). There is a seperator device which sits ontop of the engine (black circular object, looks like a tin of hand creme, but black and plastic). The seperator is supposed to seperate out the oil from the vapour but some oil inevetablly gets through.

I had mine stripped down completely and cleaned the entire tract from airbox to inlet manifold (piping, intercooler, sensors etc) but I didnt change the oil seperator (even though it had visual signs of oil leaking externally from it). My inlet duct has now got more oil in it, but the car runs perfectly. When I get time, I intend to renew the seperator and clean out the entire inlet tract. The benefit of cleaning, especially the intercooler is you notice a performance boost after doing it.

OP
S

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
Thank you psmart

I very much appreciate your post. I have now cleaned out everything except the Intercooller. I know know that this is where my leak is coming.

Looks like I need anew intercooler but everything else is OK.

THanks again

OP
S

SilverSurfer

Reaction score
Replaced Inter cooler

I thought I might let forum users know the outcome of my query.

I had a local garage replace the inter cooler, cost around £230, fitting + vat came to £450. Car now going well.

The Mercedes catch can was faulty and I cleaned this out and refitted prior to having the inter cooler fitted.

The Mercedes catch can is not very impressive so I bought one off Ebay £46. Too hasty, the 600 ml container was too big to fit neatly in the engine compartment. Now looking for a much smaller one.

Anyone any ideas where to get one that would fit easly into a 220CDI? Anyone fitted in?

Regards

Mike

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom